circut Breaker box

We have a 1936 5 room house with a 100 amp service w/ circut breakers. We wil be updating to 200amps service soom. Down the road it probability 2 rooms add to the house 1 of witch will a bedroom the other will be a family room (computer). My big question is what to look at having to done in line of the fuse box or electric work
thanks jim
We have a 1936 5 room house with a 100 amp service w/ circut breakers. We wil be updating to 200amps service soom. Down the road it probability 2 rooms add to the house 1 of witch will a bedroom the other will be a family room (computer). My big question is what to look at having to done in line of the fuse box or electric work
thanks jim
Assuming you do not want to do work inside the panel, on your own, or that doing so is a code violation - I don't know if this is up to code but while the electrician is in there I'd have him add enough circuits to handle the future expansion. Either run one big circuit to a branch box at the end of the house where the new addition will be, or run some circuits to junction boxes whereever is convenient. Then you can tap into the junction box without having to get into the new panel.
Basically have the pro do all the work inside the new panel but run circuit(s) which would be left 'off' for future growth.

circa 1936 is probably BX cable odds of a grounding conductor are not good. Computers and sensitive electronics do better on dedicated circuits with a ground.
Check with your building officials to see what your getting yourself into. Some areas will let you change the service and a few circuits. One that I know of requires a upgrade to current code.
Do you need surge protection? Lightning protection? Have the grounding measured, below 10 ohms is better than the min required of 25 ohms. My service measures less than 5 ohms. That took a bit of doing. My electronics are expensive.

Hi Jim,
Sorry to repy with a question, but why are you upgrading?
Are you working under the advice of an electrician who is trying to SELL you something?
Do you have a service calc?
later,
tom @ www.NoCostAds.com

If, in the process of pulling the panel and replacing it with a larger 200 amp panel gives you access to wire runs, you should at a minimum run romex to a point that would facilitate the new rooms. Even if you just leave it coiled in the attic or basement depending on your situation.
It is very easy to come back and add circuit breakers later on and tie them in. The difficult part is in running the romex.