Circuit Breaker Mystery

Is it possible for a circuit breaker to be tripped, but yet appear to be in the "on" position? All of the breakers have been turned off then on; but one is still not working. The appliance is plugged in. Power is working on other circuits. The appliance works when connected to a different circuit. If a landlord thought you were using too much air conditioning from a window unit, could he somehow block the connection within the panel? What could explain this situation? Thanks---S.M.

Reply to
MsM

Some breakers trip an indicator, like a red flag.

Some just trip the lever to the off position a little bit.

The breaker may just be bad, or even the outlet.

~kjpro~

Reply to
~KJPRO~

Yep. I have seen such switches where you had to really LOOK to see they'd tripped....Flip it all the way off then on..And check the draw...I had the same problems with a ac unit.

Reply to
Gene

Yes...

.. but this would take care of the problem.

Well, the landlord *could* have opened the panel and disconnected the wire(s) from the breaker, leaving the breaker in place. Doubtful that he *would*, though -- unless he's paying your electric bill, why should he care?

Or the breaker might have failed.

Since you're renting, your first step should be to speak with your landlord, and tell him that the outlet isn't working. It's his responsibility to fix, not yours.

Reply to
Doug Miller

This is Turtle.

I have seen breaker be tripped or even bad and reset just like they are suppose to and just not supply power. G/E and I.T.E. are the worst of them to do this.

Now you need the electric circuit checked out because you could have a short or burn wire and could cause a problem if left unattended.

And no i don't know of any device to tell if your using too much electricity on air conditioning without spending 10's of thousands of dollars.

You have a bad breaker , Bad wiring, or bad receptical it plugs into.

You need to call the LandLord about this problem very soon. He needs to know about this for if you don't watch out he will be reading his fire insurance policy for what it will pay for. Fix your electricical problem before you have to read your insurance policy.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

conditioning