Chisels broke

I bought four sets of chisels from a used place. The kind with a light green see-thru handle and a black trim - no brand. It performed fine for a few weeks until a pearl sized chip came off in sections from the tip of the green handle which I did not notice earlier. I was chiseling against the grain of the wood, not along the grain as instructed from a book. But, I've chiseled against the grain with a 10-year old Stanley (with a non-see-thru plastic handle) without problems.
The problem is that a few of the green see-thru chisels have 10-15 percent chips gone from its plastic striking surface. Since that day I am more careful. I'm not sure whether I had used a wrong hammer or whether I pound them too hard. What's the best way to repair these tool?
Thanks
id get a rubber chair foot or something and stick it over the end.
and a wooden mallet or rubber for striking.
randy

"Tim Zimmerman" wrote

Hi, This message was already posted, unless you don't mind replying again. There was an internal ISP error which caused a mirrored post that is beyond my control. The actual post is here. http://snipurl.com/daib
It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Tim Zimmerman"

Either just ignore it, or saw the end of the handle a little shorter, but giving you a flat surface.
Then get a wooden mallet for driving chisels.
Get a set of Sears - Craftsman, guarnteed for life , not like chinese crap