Chipped paint at church (OT)

Yeah, it's not alt church repair. Oh, well.
My 20 year old church building has a bunch of chipped wood work. Doors, in particular take a beating.
Most of the chips are well smaller than a dime. I've been to Home Depot, and looked. One product is a "paint pen" with bit of foam for applicator. Need to rinse the foam tip every night after use. The other is aerosol like shaving cream that you rub in. Yet another choice is can of stain, and put it on with a foam brush or cotton swab.
Who has experience with hiding chips? Any ideas how to not make the usual mistakes?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I am assuming these are stained. Other than sanding and a staining again nothing works as well as I would like.
The felt tipped markers (think magic marker) in the proper color do an easy touch up about as well as it can be done.
The furniture touch up guys use about the same thing except some of their stuff is wax based to level the area a bit. Never asked the guys where they bought it but if you don't know where the spot was they can make it hard to find.
I doubt the BORG will have what you need. Look for "furniture touch" kits online for the best selection.
Colbyt
On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 19:01:36 -0500, "Colbyt"

"burn in sticks" do the best job. Basically a melt-in laquer stick - much more durable than wax and high fill when required to level a chip or gouge.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

A box of 48-colors crayons, followed by the appropriate sealer (varnish, etc.)?
On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 18:51:09 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Without actually seeing the chips makes it difficult to suggest a repair. Sometimes it is much easier to replace the door with one that will take a beating. Wood does not take a beating very well and your repair efforts will be short-lived. Wooden doors can be most beautiful, but even a metal door can only take so much abuse.
A dent can usually be steamed out of wood but swelling the crushed wood fibers, but a gouge will need some kind of filler, perhaps Bondo. Good luck.
On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 18:51:09 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

I'm not sure if you are talking about doors with a nice layer of paint on them that's getting chipped off or stained doors with "marks" that have messed up the stain look. If it's the later, what I do with stained doors is to get Tung oil or Liquid God or similar type of oil/stain product and saturate a small rag with it and wipe down the whole door. Makes most small marks and gouges blend back in and renews the look of the door.
I'm not sure if you are talking about doors with a nice layer of paint on them that's getting chipped off or stained doors with "marks" that have messed up the stain look.
CY: I may post some pictures on a free h osting, sometime when I'm more awake, and less fatigued. The doors have wood grain look to them, and mostly at the edges, there are chunks of grain and varnish missing.
If it's the later, what I do with stained doors is to get Tung oil or Liquid God or similar type of oil/stain product and saturate a small rag with it and wipe down the whole door. Makes most small marks and gouges blend back in and renews the look of the door.
CY: Yes, it would be good rub the church doors with Liquid God. I'm thinking I should post some pictures one day soon.
On Feb 6, 9:04pm, "Stormin Mormon"

Gel God protects better and is easier to apply.
On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 19:25:00 -0800 (PST), RicodJour

Both are pricey!!
On Feb 4, 6:51pm, "Stormin Mormon"

Depends entirely on the severity of the damage. Mohawk carries a lot of refinishing stuff. http://www.mohawkfinishing.com/catalog_browse.asp?ictNbr=3
This is probably the sweet spot, for price/flexibility: http://www.mohawkfinishing.com/catalog_browse.asp?ictNbr=277