gas lines

I'm sure this varies from place to place. In my area, the utility company makes the rules and specs, the homeowner or builder's licensed plumber installs the lines as per spec, and the utility company maintains the lines up to the inlet side of their meter. This makes sense because if a line breaks before the meter, it costs them.

Reply to
RBM

you need to ask them, but generally, you're only responsible for the pipes on your side of the meter.

Reply to
chaniarts

Typically they will repair, at their cost, anything up to, and including the meter. Anything beyond the meter is the homeowners responsibility.

In other words, if the gas leaks out before the meter they aren't getting paid for their product and that isn't good for business.

Gordon Shumway

Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned-- how would you repair such a line anyway. Does the main line running down the street or alley have a shut off where each line branches off to go to the individual meterd, or would the entire main have to be shut down if a repair was needed.

Reply to
Lp1331 1p1331

Every building has a street shutoff

Reply to
RBM

Where gas lines cross you property edge, and run maybe 200' to the meter by the house......

Do gas companies generally make you repair those lined between house and property lines?

Or, is that considered their job to take care of?

Just starting to ask about our situation here.

Reply to
rb

Not here in Ohio. The gas company's responsibility ends at the street shutoff. The entire line under the lawn to your meter is yours to maintain, but they can and will shut it down if it leaks. I've been through it personally. The gas utilities sell insurance to cover repair costs, they put flyers in the mail every so often to try and get you to sign up. The main catch I see looking through the literature is that pre-existing conditions are not covered.

Reply to
DT

I've found the water shut off, for my parents house. Someday, I'll have to go look for the street shut off. I'm not aware if there is such.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Except mine. And all my neighbors. The first shutoff is on the meter at the house.

Reply to
Bob F

Mabee where you live. Here the shutoff is at the meter, and the meter is at the house. Street shutoff exists for water, but not gas (or electric, which is also underground)

Reply to
clare

I don't have an easily accessible one. There may be one where my line taps off the street line. You would have to dig down to the street line to get to it.

Reply to
bud--

They often get buried over time but can be important if a gas leak occurs or a home fire where firefighters cant reach the meter shutoff. Heck I know of 2 people who gas meters got hit with runaway vehicles:(

If our main leaks the GOOD NEWS!! It may be replaced without digging up the entire line:)

Just either end. Street shutoff and meter, or home if meter is in front yard near curb.

Plumbers sanakes a new plastic line thru the old leaky one. Saves money and big dig:( and restoration.

Fact is equitable replaces main lines in the same way. Dig at each curb connection snake new plastic line thru old metal one. saves tearing up streets sidewalks etc etc.

If the OP has a gas odor I highly recommend calling the gas company. Gas leaks can be very hazardous, and the leak may not be theirs. it may just be following their lines, can get into basements thru sewer lines.

gas company or plumber can pressure test line to find out if home line is leaking, or not. often its a main service line leak and the gas companies problem

Reply to
hallerb

I'm sure they want you to fix it yourself, because that way, they'll know it was done right.

Their own workers can't really be relied on.

Reply to
mm