Chinese knockoffs.

around the burners in the stove top where indentations had been pressed out. Typically this is caused by either poor quality steel or drawing lubricant during the stamping process. It's a mfg defect - not caused by use. Fridigidaire would not replace it - only would sell me a new stove top over $300.

Then this one definitely lives up to this reputation.

Reply to
Guv Bob

From about 1955 ot 1965 my dad worked on them for a store and they were good quality then,but at some point they went down hill.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I should have researched them more. I was buying from what I thought was a good brand name and did not think they would hirt their reputation with a POS, but I was wrong about them.

I even went to the dealer in town instead of the big box store.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Agree on the cords. I generally won't buy anything made in China. Okay I suppose for decorative things.

Reply to
Julie Bove

IMO it is bad if it is a knockoff. They shouldn't advertise something as genuine Apple or genuine GE if it isn't.

Reply to
Julie Bove

They might be but if I am buying something that says it is Apple, then it had darned well better BE Apple!

Reply to
Julie Bove

My husband once wanted to buy a watch for his mom. He told the clerk that he wanted one made in the USA. She just sort of blinked at him. Said there were none.

I don't really even care where things are made. I know that the USA doesn't produce much any more and if it is produced here, it's likely to be very expensive.

I just don't want people selling things and claiming them to be something that they're not.

Reply to
Julie Bove

I may well have been. But my point is... If I order straight from GE, I presume they will send me a GE part. It is wrong for a seller on Amazon to say that they are selling genuine GE parts when they are in fact some sort of generic thing that may not work with your stove.

Reply to
Julie Bove

Yes. You said it better than I did. I tend to be wordy.

Reply to
Julie Bove

Beware of any appliances or parts these days. Most if not all are made overseas.

My Frigidaire (Model 40064747757 Nov 2007) developed strain cracks around the burners in the stove top where indentations had been pressed out. Typically this is caused by either poor quality steel or drawing lubricant during the stamping process. It's a mfg defect - not caused by use. Fridigidaire would not replace it - only would sell me a new stove top over $300.

Here's a photo showing the cracks. Cracks go all the way through the metal:

That's sad. My GE side by side fridge/freezer got a crack in the plastic at the bottom not long after I got it. I did accidentally drop something on it. It was a glass bottle but I can't remember exactly what it was. You'd think they would have built it better. And I don't think it's the sort of part I can replace.

One of my little fridges lost a part in the door after a few years. It's just a little rubber or maybe it is silicone plug to hold the bar in place for soda cans.I tried to replace the part but no success. I finally just duct taped the hell out of it. Looks like crap but it works. Previously I had stuffed a little duct tape in the hole but it just wasn't enough.

Reply to
Julie Bove

Nope....

Doesn't matter to me what they were thinking. I offered to send this one back, pay shipping on a new one plus a reasonable cost, but they would even discuss it. Whatever.... So they lost a customer, plus bad press from me.

I even mentioned the other problems, just as helpful feedback for their own info. Two of the 5 burners started to fail within 2 years -- I was able to adjust them, but I never heard of this happening in all my years of using various other gas ranges. Also, if we turn any gas valve on too slowly, it fills up the stove top with gas and then ignites. Supposed to start the sparking before the gas comes out. They have the wrong people working phone tech support.

Reply to
Julie Bove

I think the old ones were good. Now that I think of it, I think my one little fridge might be that brand.

Reply to
Julie Bove

The major issue is cheap counterfeits marketed as the genuine article. If they're not marketed as genuine/OEM parts, then it is strictly buyer beware. There are wide variances in quality of manufacture and you have no way of knowing if it is a quality product before purchasing it. An awful lot of third party electrical/electronic goods manufactured in China are either not UL certified or have counterfeit UL certifications.

When a foreign company to contract with a Chinese manufacturer to produce their product, it's fairly common for the manufacturer to not only manufacture the genuine product, but to then make and sell knockoff versions of the product, usually produced with inferior materials or modified designs. Worst case scenario is when the Chinese manufacturer sees the market opportunity for a new product from a small overseas company and steals the design and market share by making and marketing their own versions of the product while deliberately stalling the production of the official product for that company that came up with it in the first place. That happened to a small local company in my area.

Intellectual property theft is huge in China. It's one of the prices companies pay for having their goods produced there. Basically, for every legitimate unit produced, they can expect to have a number of illegitimate units produced, sold out the back door, and competing with their own products.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

If you have a link to this Amazon listing, I'm sure we'd all be interested in seeing it. From what you've said, I believe what you're saying is:

1 - You didn't actually buy a burner there, just read reviews. 2 - The listing shows a picture of a GE burner, but the one they ship is not GE.

It would be interesting to see the whole thing, in context. If they are doing what is claimed, then people should be complaining to Amazon, asking for their money back, etc. And if they don't correct it, Amazon should shut them down.

As for the USA not making much of anything, that's not true. We are the second largest manufacturer in the world, with China only recently having past us. Just because we don't make cheap consumer products, doesn't mean we aren't building computers, microprocessors, airplanes, power plants, etc.

Reply to
trader_4

You have the Amazon link so we can all take a look?

Reply to
trader_4

If it is sold by GE, it will meet their specifications regardless of where it was manufactured. If it is sold by a third party, you have no way of knowing if it meets GE's OEM specs. Also, items purchased from GE will be warranted by GE. Items marketed as GE parts but sold by third parties will not be warranted by GE if GE cannot verify that the parts are genuine GE OEM.

A few years back a major facility in my part of the country solicited bids for an industrial electrical component manufactured by GE. My brother sells electrical materials for GE, and thus has the guaranteed lowest price from the manufacturing plant for these items. No one can get it for less, so he took it for granted he'd be awarded the bid. To his astonishment, he didn't get it - because the facility told him a local small hardware store had submitted a bid for this multi-thousand dollar part for only a few hundred dollars. My brother verified that the manufacturing plant had not produced the item. He warned the facility that regardless of the hardware store's claim that it was genuine GE, they believed it was not, and without proof, they would not warrant the product. Sure enough, the part soon failed, and the facility tried to get GE to replace it. GE's response was that they don't warrant counterfeit Chinese knockoffs, which this obviously was, since it wasn't produced by the legit GE manufacturing plant.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

Umm...you know that Electrolux is a Swedish multinational, right? And they've owned Frigidaire since 1986. Before then, Frigidaire was owned by GM.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

They were still good into the 80's and later. Looks they opened a plant in Mexico in 2005. I'm sure that's where my 2007 range model was made. Thanks to all the free-trading legislators for sending our jobs south of the border.

From

A new cooktop manufacturing facility will be located in the Frank C. Pidgeon Industrial park, southwest of Memphis. The facility will be built to LEED certification standards. Workers will manufacture the company?s Electrolux ICON®, Electrolux® and Frigidaire® product lines, including drop-in/slide-in ranges, wall ovens, specialty free standing ranges and cook tops. Construction is expected to begin in early 2011 with production to begin in mid-2012.

Electrolux/Fridgidaire also operates a manufacturing facility for free standing gas and electric ranges in Springfield, Tennessee. The Springfield facility currently employs about 2,900 people.

It also operates a large manufacturing facility in Northern Mexico since

2005.[5]
Reply to
Guv Bob

"Guv Bob" wrote in news:492dnao_LPTdsD7OnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

"..our jobs.."??

They don't belong to us. They go to the location able to produce the product most efficiently. Because of government regulatory burdens, high taxes and unions; that isn't the U.S. anymore. If those jobs didn't go south, I wouldn't be able to afford the products any more.

I hope more jobs go south.

Reply to
Zaky Waky

Umm...then thanks to all the free-trading legislators for allowing a foreign company to close a US plant and sending our jobs south of the border.

Reply to
Guv Bob