Chimney Cap Needed?

Page 2 of 2

That's a dream come true for my dog. A squirrel with no place to run.
mike wrote:

I agree that you should have a chimney cap, but that it's unlikely to have much effect on cold air coming down the chimney. If it were me, I'd have it rigged for ventless. And if you're worried about code, just leave the damper in place, so it can still operate. I doubt that violates any code.
If you leave a chimney open with no fire, your're going to be wasting quite a bit of energy during cold weather.
mike wrote:

Here's another reason:
"[A] squirrel fell down a chimney at a Two Rivers home and landed in a fire in a fireplace Monday night...The squirrel escaped the fire and ran around the house..."
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/bizarre/4367215.html

IMHO:
First chapping off the flue against rain and animals just sounds like common sense.
Second, your symptoms sound like there is something else. If you even suspect exhaust gasses will be entering your house, instead of leaving, it doesn't sound safe to use your gas fireplace. Have a professional check out what could be causing the reverse drafting issues.
Good luck,
tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info