Cheapest way to replace thermostat bulb locked at 65F with more intelligence?

I have the "bubble" type of thermostat which stays at one temperature.
I like to bring the heat up to 65F in the early evening and just before the kids wake; but otherwise I want it back down to 50F while we're all sleeping.
Is there an inexpensive alternative to the bubble that can easily be substituted that will just do this time-based temperature program?
Kat Rabun wrote the following:

Sure http://tinyurl.com/yhv7j86
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 09:02:38 -0500, willshak wrote:

I knew programmable thermostats existed, but are they pin-for-pin compatible with the simple bubble thermostats?
In other words, can I just remove the bubble thermostat from the wall somehow and plug in the programmable thermostat in its place?
Kat Rabun wrote:

New thermostat comes with intall. manual. Just don't buy El Cheapo.
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 08:36:21 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

I didn't realize it was that easy to substitute a smart thermostat for a dumb one (like how does it get its electricity?).
Do you have a recommended smart thermostat you're happy with?
Kat Rabun wrote:

batteries
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 11:13:15 -0700, chaniarts wrote:

My bubble thermostat has batteries? I've never changed them. Seems to me a thermostat should be wired to the wall. Aren't they?
This is all so confusing.
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 20:06:48 +0000 (UTC), Kat Rabun wrote:

No, your old thermostat does not have batteries. The bubble completes the circuit when the temp goes down and breaks the circuit when the temp goes up. The programmable thermostats need batteries for their lcd displays and memories.
--

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com
2/10/2010 10:11:06 PM

They can recharge via the voltage on the circuit they control as long as they don't have to run 100% of the time.
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 21:25:35 -0600, AZ Nomad

The first one I had did neither of those. It required an additional wire from the furnace (the 24V return wire, normally not connected).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

It varies. Nowadays, most have such low power requirements, they simply use a battery such as a 9v. I have a setback thermostat on it's 3rd year on the same battery. Back in the 70's, my dad put in one that recharged itself, but had a mechanical timer. It frequently ran down and I ended up running an AC adapter to it to keep it charged.
snipped-for-privacy@Use-Author-Supplied-Address.invalid says...

It doesn't "plug in", it has screw terminals. Make a note of what color wire goes on which terminal (they are lettered) and put them on the same terminals on the new thermostat.
--
Dennis