Cheap versus quality silicone

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Blaster-9-3-oz-B-laster-Garage-Door-Lubricant-16-GDL/202532761
This stuff any good?
I had a can of Walmart brand (black can, Popular Mechanics brand?) silicone. Sprayed a bicycle chain for a friend's grand son. Grand son went home out of state, and I heard later the chain dried up and locked up.
Snap brand from auto parts store seemed OK, but never tried it on a bike chain.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Sunday, August 16, 2015 at 8:00:42 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)39777836&sr=8-5&keywords=Superior+Lubricant
On Sunday, August 16, 2015 at 9:18:49 PM UTC-5, bob_villa wrote:

Sorry, it's not silicone but it one of the best lubes for bikes and openers.
On 8/16/15 9:00 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

It says it leaves a tack-free film. Call me a lubrication bigot, but that could mean it will dry without getting into the rollers.
Three-in-one was invented for bicycle chains. It would seep into the rollers and leave so little outside that you wouldn't smudge your cuffs or stockings.
I believe I'll try some on my 1/8 hp fan. I used non-detergent motor oil last time, but it's getting sluggish starting on low. Or maybe I should quit trying to start on low.
I know! I'll lube it with STP, the Racer's Edge!
On 08/16/2015 07:00 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

If you're lubing bicycle chains, there are a multitude of products, both wet and dry depending on the climate. I've been using Pedro's Ice Wax. It isn't the most long lasting but it's dry and clean and I'm more concerned with dust than rust.
Or you can go with my motorcycle favorite, 90w gear oil.
On 8/16/2015 11:10 PM, rbowman wrote:

I do have a bicycle, which takes lube. Can't remember what I used last time. My shelf has a can of chain lube with moly, but that's jet black. Might have used WD, can't remember.
Gear oil sounds good.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 8/16/2015 9:00 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Once used some old Teflon based spray on a bicycle chain and it started to rust. Unlike oil based spray it did not rust proof.
I liked to liberally use WD40 as it would not only lube the chain but rinse off some of the grit which caused chain to wear.

I keep a squirt bottle with mineral spirits and 30 weight in it, about half and half. That does a good job of cleaning and lubing.

Sounds like a good idea. Would be much cheaper too.
When I bicycled, I recall replacing chains and even gears which wore out. I had a chain repair kit that I carried when cycling as I had broken the chain a couple of times. Cleanliness is important.

The best way to lube a chain like that is in a bucket anyway.
I have a garage door chain in a bucket as we speak. I don't know what the other guy was using but it was a gummed up mess.

Dipped in oil with the mineral spirits cleans a dirty one and leaves a pretty good oil film when the MS evaporates. I have a strainer (expanded metal) in the bucket so it will separate the crud from the oil mix. I use that to clean up lots of stuff
On Mon, 17 Aug 2015 12:36:10 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

So does MMO, or even ATF - but both attract mor dirt, and cause more stains on pants and sox than parafin.
On 08/17/2015 06:55 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

For cleaning, I just take the chain off for it's annual cleaning (solvent bath), at which time I also service the rear derailleur. For chain lube I make a mix of 1/2 30wND and 1/2 85w-90 gear oil, apply liberally, then wipe it off; seems to last longer than thinner lubes, and does a good job.
Jon

On the standard non-o-ring chain, one thing that works VERY well is to thoroughly clean the chain in kerosene, then melt parafin sealing wax in a double boiler and with a string tied to the chain, imerse the entire chain into the parafin, allowing it to stay in untill the chain has reached the temperature of the melted wax (and absorbed a lot of wax) then pull the chain out by the string and let it cool.
On Sunday, August 16, 2015 at 6:00:42 PM UTC-7, Stormin Mormon wrote:

http://www.lawsonproducts.com/images/Chemicals/Lubricants/Greases/Blue-Grease-HT-Multipurpose-Grease/largeImage/DV_WebLarge_I_P91491.jpg
On 8/17/2015 12:42 PM, User 400 wrote:

http://mrwgifs.com/wtf-is-this-wtf-is-that-cat-gif/