Sanitary silicone sealant versus General purpose

What is the difference in application, suitability, durability or whatever, between the silicone sealants described as "sanitary" on page

132 of Screwfix catalog no 83 and those on page 133 described as "general purpose"?

ISTM that properties required for sealing a bath edge to a wall ought to be similar to those for sealing a window to a wall. So what detail am I missing?

Both pages are full of examples, but two parallel ones of Unibond make are:

Screwfix catalog no 83 page 132 product code 84793 = "Sanitary silicone sealant":

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&howMany=15&searchText=84793Screwfix catalog no 83 page 133 product code 28854 = "General purpose silicone":

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&howMany=15&searchText=28854&x=13&y=13TIA

Reply to
ironer

In my (somewhat painful) experience, the non-sanitary stuff turns black with mold if its used in a damp environment. The screwfix own-brand sanitary silicone is better, but still not great. The Vallance stuff seems pretty good - it's been in our new bathroom for about a year now and looks the same as when it was put on.

more expensive silicone also seems thicker, softer and I find it's easier to get a good finish.

regards, Jon.

Reply to
Tournifreak