Cheap electric switches and outlets

Page 3 of 3

The NEC (National Electrical Code) is used in most parts of the United States. The tamper resistant requirement is detailed in article 406.12.
Some parts of the country use the IRC (International Residential Code) instead. However, it has a similar requirement for tamper resistant outlets in section 4002.14.
I do not know which code is used in Chicago, and local jurisdictions may have their own requirements (often stricter). The only way to know for sure would be to contact your local permit agency to find out what they use.
Anthony

As Nate mentioned, the ones I have seen have "TR" stamped into the front of them. You can see a few varieties on the Leviton web site at:
http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/SectionDisplay.jsp?section7692&minisite10251
Anthony

Everyone? Nonsense.

*YOU* might, but you're not everyone and no matter what Obama thinks, Chicago isn't the center of the universe.