Charging Battery On Garden Tractor

Page 1 of 2

Did a stupid thing and ran down the battery. Now it's on a 12V 2/6 amp charger. Every two hrs., I remove the charger from the AC source, negative ground clamp, and positive clamp and attempt to crank the engine.
Is is necessary for safety purposes to disable the charger, or can I leave it connected while testing to see if the engine cranks over?
Thanks.

First off allow that little charger overnight to do the job with the battery removed from the tractor or the + terminal disconnected.
Yes you should always disconnect it while trying to start.
* US * wrote:

Leave it connected. The extra boost it provides may enable you to start your machine before the battery is fully charged.

Unless the charger is specifically designed to handle 'boost' voltages, the current drawn by starting will ruin the diodes. For a small trickle charger, the few amps provided over the battery capacity would have no noticeable effect on starting results, so the sensible thing is disconnect. You may also be surprised to find that recommendation in your owners manual.
Joe.
Joe wrote:

forty bucks I ever spent when living in the apartments was that Shumaker (sp?) boost charger and long extension cord. Paid for itself the first time I didn't have to call a tow truck. Haven't used it in years, now that I park inside my own damn garage, and have 2 vastly more reliable cars. But keeping it just in case.
And what's an owner's manual? One of them paper book things? They never seem to be included at the auctions and yard sales....
--
aem sends...

I also find a car battery charger to be useful.
The "jumper packs" with the internal battery are useful, also. I've got one in each vehicle, and have used them several times. I bought a 22 amp jumper pack from Harbor Freight, one time. Sixty bucks. It didn't work the once I needed it. Took it back. Bought a 17 amp one from NAPA auto supply. Hundred bucks, but at least it does the job.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 19:31:36 GMT, Home@Home. (* US *) wrote:

Look at the two answers above from HeyBub and Colbyt. This is a text book example of why you don't ask an automotive related question in this group. One would think with a name of alt.home.repai it would be obvious but obviously not.
Gordon Shumway wrote:

Depends on whether alt.home.repair means "repairing THE home" or "repairing AT home"
That said, where else would one go for advice on shearing sheep, folding paper airplanes, or framing a marriage proposal (I like "Will you be my first wife?")?

divorced now.

I used to work with a guy like that. ...except that he had a wife number two between two instances of wife number one. A mid-life thing.

Nice try.

You live in a heavily Demonicratic area. They haven't bothered us once. ...not so much as junk mail.
<...>
keith wrote:

Uh, you're right. If they ever do contact me, I'm gonna tell them that no one lives here and I'm merely a burglar.
The answer to all of those is GI, backpack style flame thrower. Don't try to use last year's napalm from the gascan in the garage. Mix new, each spring.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
(* US *) wrote:

While I have no desire to start a flame war, I do feel the need to point out that some of us can read and do read the manuals that came with various devices.
For that reason I will stand by the initial answer I posted to OP's question. For you I suggest RTFM for charging instructions included with most chargers and the warnings that are included in the better written tractor manuals.
Colbyt
On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 08:34:45 -0400, "Colbyt"

The point I was trying to make is that your answer "Yes you should always disconnect it while trying to start" and Heybub's answer Leave it connected. The extra boost it provides may enable you to start your machine before the battery is fully charged" were diametrically opposed. However, in this case either answer was acceptable.
As far as RTFM I fully agree and have recommended that solution to many questions here. If that was the first thing subscribers here did the number of posts would probably reduce by 75% or more.
Have a good day.
Gordon Shumway wrote: (snip)

RTFM only works if you HAVE the Fine Manual. For us 2nd or 3rd or Nth owners of equipment, that is seldom the case. Not all manufacturers are real good about putting them on their web sites, especially for older stuff.
--
aem sends...

Why would anyone want to read the furnished manual?
I sense the OP battery is damaged beyond repair, and he's wasting time.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 19:31:36 +0000, * US * wrote:

Why on earth would you do that?

Doesn't hurt the charger to leave it on but by all means let it charge for 24 hours. If the battery is viable good. If not it may start after 24 hours but not after it sits for 3 or 4 days. I just replaced the 300 CCA battery on my Deere 155. Would crank fine unless it sat for 3 days. The battery was 10 years old.

Many of these trickle chargers are designed to be left connected to batteries. It certainly won't hurt it. Every machine I have, has an onboard trickle charger, this way if a machine is not used for months, the battery doesn't die. They don't charge very rapidly, so it'll need a good 8 hrs of more to fully charge it, if the battery is in good condition.