Changing sink hot water shut off valve

Need sage advice on how to removing an old leaking hot water shut-off = valve and salvage the nut. Can't budge the nut and has bimetal = corrosion. Would anything work better than std penetrating oil or WD40?

Normally I would cut the pipe and install new nut, etc. Long story, but = the pipe is inaccessible from both sides of the wall. Old built-in = vanity cabinets - big project to move. Can reach the nut & valve with = wrenches but not with saw or pipe cuttter without tearing out the = cabinet.

Thanks in advance!

Fred

Reply to
Fred "Fred" Fred

This is what you use to remove the nut:

but I don=92t trust compression nuts, especially when the end of the pipe g= ets messed-up trying to remove it so when I do remove them this is what I s= older on to the end of the pipe:

You will be glad you did especially if you have expensive hardwood floors a= nd take long vacations.=20

Reply to
recyclebinned

Heat? Use a heat shield/any metal & wet rags to help control flames/heat.

Hate to say bang on the nut, cause doing that may break the line. However, when working on hydraulic lines, a couple of good whacks right on the nut breaks it free.

Reply to
Kronos

I've had some results with Castle Thrust has worked in some situations.

Like the time I was trying to free up a headlight adjuster. I'd tried several sprays and lubes. Castle worked, very nicely. Mine found at Nu Way Automotive.

.

Normally I would cut the pipe and install new nut, etc. Long story, but the pipe is inaccessible from both sides of the wall. Old built-in vanity cabinets - big project to move. Can reach the nut & valve with wrenches but not with saw or pipe cuttter without tearing out the cabinet.

Thanks in advance!

Fred

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

PB Penetrating Catalyst, in the yellow spray can at your auto parts shop.

A twenty-year supply costs about $3.00. The can will never go empty because you don't use much.

Honest-to-God, it's good stuff !

Reply to
HeyBub

Oh god, it's happening.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

On 11/08/2012 07:34 AM, Fred "Fred" Fred wrote: > Need sage advice on how to removing an old leaking hot water shut-off > valve and salvage the nut. Can't budge the nut and has bimetal > corrosion. Would anything work better than std penetrating oil or > WD40?

Oh god, it's happening.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

For millions of Alt Home Repair readers, they are blissfully unaware of the ripple that has been caused in space. None will even hint of dream of the universal calamity which has befallen, another dimension of time, space, and lubrication. Because those half dozen deadbolts were earlier sprayed with a substance that has been known to shift the time space continuum.

Rod Serling Twilight Zone .

Oh god, it's happening.

Jon

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

salvage the nut. Can't budge the nut and has bimetal corrosion. Would anything work better than std penetrating oil or WD40?

I love wd-40 but I wouldn't use it were penetrating oil is called for. Liquid Wrench or something else.

pipe is inaccessible from both sides of the wall. Old built-in vanity cabinets

- big project to move. Can reach the nut & valve with wrenches but not with saw or pipe cuttter without tearing out the cabinet.

The puller the firstr reply referred to is a gear puller, or (splined) handle puller. A nut has to be unscrewed or cracked. It can't just be pulled off.

Reply to
micky