Changing media( resin) in a water softener

Long story short I think the resin is shot in a 12 + year old softener that sat unused for 10 years before being put into use. At best the resign just may be inefficient compared to what is available today. ANy thoughts on what I need to know or do to change the resign? Thanks

Reply to
PHX

You ought to be able to take a sample of the resin to a local water testing lab and have them see what's happening.

Also, It might take a few cycles of use before the resin is fully functional. Also, if the resin sat for that long, it make be caked together, and a good stirring might separate the grains so they all are working. It should have the consistency of fine sand. I would take the exchange tank out of the softener and fill the exchange tank with water and then try turning it upside down and maybe on its side and rolling it around to loosen things up. Then cycle a few times and see what happens. I have not heard of the resin dying just to old inactive age.

Reply to
hrhofmann

------------------------------------------------------------------------ You ought to be able to take a sample of the resin to a local water testing lab and have them see what's happening.

Also, It might take a few cycles of use before the resin is fully functional. Also, if the resin sat for that long, it make be caked together, and a good stirring might separate the grains so they all are working. It should have the consistency of fine sand. I would take the exchange tank out of the softener and fill the exchange tank with water and then try turning it upside down and maybe on its side and rolling it around to loosen things up. Then cycle a few times and see what happens. I have not heard of the resin dying just to old inactive age.

Its been a year of cycles, that is why i think there may be a problem. It had not occurred to me that the resin could be caked together. How do I remove the exchange tank...is this something separate from the main tank to which the head is attached( something that can be removed through the top? OR do I just take the head off and "shake " the whole tank up?

Reply to
PHX

think the resin is shot in a 12 + year old softener

The exchange tank is about a foot in diameter and several feet tall. It is the only tank insiide the whole softener. Any way to shake it up ought to be tried. If you can get the head off, a long rod ought to be able to stir things up. But, after a year of trying, I have to feel not too optimistic that you will see much change, but if you can save some $$$ it's worth trying.

Bob H

Reply to
hrhofmann

----------------------------------------------------------------------- The exchange tank is about a foot in diameter and several feet tall. It is the only tank insiide the whole softener. Any way to shake it up ought to be tried. If you can get the head off, a long rod ought to be able to stir things up. But, after a year of trying, I have to feel not too optimistic that you will see much change, but if you can save some $$$ it's worth trying.

Bob H

Ah, mine is a separate system, the exchange tank and mineral tank are two units, fleck head. my tank is about 48 inches tall or so. I will take a look at it an see what I can "see"

Thanks

Reply to
PHX

My water softener is after a sandfilter and the system is supplied by a flowing spring with a pickup in a pond. When I bought the property the filter and softener had been neglected. I dumped the media from each one in large plastic tubs and flooded it with flowing water without letting the media float out and rinsed all the crud off with the flowing water. They both have worked fine since.

Reply to
Jeff D

t I

Reply to
Gary Slusser

I think if I go to the trouble of emptying the tank I will just go a head and refill with new resin. Is there anything else in the tank? someone mentioned gravel I thought. I am looking at using puolite C-100-E as the replacement. Any thoughts on the resin type?

Reply to
PHX