chainsaw reccomendation or advice ?

Page 3 of 3
On 09/24/2011 03:37 PM, Tony Miklos wrote:

FWIW, mine starts and runs fine, but it's sloppy about oil -- it seems every time I pick it up, it has left a puddle.
I picked up a recon Poulin for $99 and it starts and runs fine.
Now they have a different way of adjusting the chain

Most everything WORKS, at least for some period of time. It's just when you really get it out and use it quite a bit that you find out how good it is. To cut one cord of wood a year is light use. I'm surprised your carb rubber and gaskets last from year to year. Poulans work, and there are a few that last a long time. Just not many.
Steve

I'm surprised most of the respondents to this post are smart enough to even breath!
nb
Thanks for that... oh mighty judgmental one.
notbob wrote:

Breathe. ;-)
-Bob

And I would go exactly the opposite way. I have a 50cc, 20" McCulloch chainsaw. I purposely wanted 20" to deal with an older willow tree that had a large trunk, and with the longer bar you need a larger engine.
Once I dealt with that tree, everything else (managing a 2 acre wooded lot) would be served with a 16" saw that would be far lighter and easier to handle..

came with a short bar - I replaced it with a longer one - it makes it a lot more flexible (for pruning etc) and added VERY little weight.And the little monster can handle the long chain in softer woods
On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 18:42:08 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Thanks Clare You guys know the chain and bar are only held on with 2 screws. You can swap out that Paul Bunyon thing you bought on a whim for a shorter one for $30 and have a choice.
Here in Florida (sand) chains and bars are a consumable.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

My point was that chainsaws that come with longer bars stock typically have heavier engines. You can certainly swap out a shorter bar for a longer one if all you are cutting is scrub and branches, but if you need the longer bar for cutting trunk, you probably need the heavier engine.

cut - which is why I put on the long bar - but the little monster just grunts and goes when I need to cut.
Craftsman would be my choice.mainly because of previous experience, however I imagine they are all from the same co now.
On 9/23/2011 10:15 AM, robb wrote:

Craftsman is (or used to be) made by Poulan and may be good if used for short/medium duration once a week.

Whichever brand you decide on get a professional model, Quality is long remembered ...price is soon forgot.