Chain saw

Page 2 of 2

This is Turtle.
You might if you like to post back and tell what model / Brand you end up with.
TURTLE
I can not remember the model, But I bought the wife one of the electric 18" models so she could do some trimming work in the yard without waiting on me. I thought they were not going to be that good but was impressed with the cutting ability and power for the one I got. I even use if many times for small jobs. I have cut some big pieces, and though the gas powered ones can be more powerfull, for the size is pretty good.
MC

with.
We live on 40 acres so an electric chain saw was not an option. My husband's old one just pooped out (I don't remember what brand it was) but before buying another one we wanted to make sure we didn't make a mistake. He doesn't use it a lot but it's handy to have around when he needs it.
We decided on the Husqvarna 136 16". He hasn't used it yet but will let you know his opinion of it.
Thanks to everyone for their input. Newsgroups are a wonderful thing!
Debbie
| > Thanks everyone for your recommendations. You've been a big help! | > | > Debbie | | This is Turtle. | | You might if you like to post back and tell what model / Brand you end up with. | | TURTLE | |

Actually, as another home owner, I'll make a really radical (for this group) suggestion.
I picked up a small Remington electric for $35 (half price) this year, at the big box end of summer close out. For this, the brand really doesn't matter, what ever your store sells will do.
Such a thing is fine for cutting up branches and trimming bushes, and being electric, no starting problems or gasoline to mix and store.
No, I don't expect it to last any longer than the chain does, so I'll get another one.
For logs that are more than 8 inches or so, for firewood, you'll want them split as well, so IMHO, call a pro for that, who has the bigger tools.
And make yourself a crossbuck out of some 2x4s, to hold the wood as you cut. A pair of X's held apart about 18 inches. This way, when you hit it with the chain saw, it isn't a great loss for either.

While I have used the Husqys and Stihls and loved them, I have used a Sear's Craftsman 18" for the past 4 years without any problems. I have cut at least 5 cords of wood for firewood (oak, maple, pinion, walnut), cut down numerous limbs around my house and grandparent's house and have had zero problems. I paid less than 190 bucks and the only maintenance has been changing the filters, the normal chain change out and one bar.
This is from when I lived in Missouri, but I have just moved back to So Cal. If I was to make another purchase for around the house, I would do it again. I would go with a Stihl Farm Boss if I was going to use it for more than just around the house (uses listed above)
My .02 Euro
I appreciate your response, but since a BIG problem with Sears in Jan 2001 I have not stepped foot in a Sears store.
Debbie
| > Does anyone have any recommendations for a good chain saw? | > | > Nothing fancy, but good reputation. For a home owner. | > | > Thanks in advance, | > Debbie | > | | While I have used the Husqys and Stihls and loved them, I have used a Sear's | Craftsman 18" for the past 4 years without any problems. I have cut at | least 5 cords of wood for firewood (oak, maple, pinion, walnut), cut down | numerous limbs around my house and grandparent's house and have had zero | problems. I paid less than 190 bucks and the only maintenance has been | changing the filters, the normal chain change out and one bar. | | This is from when I lived in Missouri, but I have just moved back to So Cal. | If I was to make another purchase for around the house, I would do it again. | I would go with a Stihl Farm Boss if I was going to use it for more than | just around the house (uses listed above) | | My .02 Euro | |

This is Turtle.
You and Thousands other Too. I think they are the best there is to piss people and seem to think it is good.
TURTLE

Lots of great deals on mfg refurbished (and warranted) Poulan Pro saws on Ebay. I got one last fall and it was just like new (no scratches or evidence of ever being used).
Look for a saw with a chrome cylinder and anti-vibration mounts, and with a comparatively larger engine than the cheaper saws. You can probably get a nice 14-18" saw for around $75.