chain drive garage door opener

Neighbor complaining of a rattling noise. Didn't take more than a moment to determine chain is slack on his GDO. Simple fix -- end of story.
But, got me wondering as to the potential downside of a "slack" chain -- beyond the noise and *eventual* wear on it and the drive bar from that rubbing.
OTOH, a *taut* chain is a recipe for premature wear in the mechanism...
On Thursday, February 4, 2016 at 10:04:46 AM UTC-6, Don Y wrote:

There's a spring in the door-capture mechanism that cushions excess tension.
On 2/4/2016 8:04 AM, Don Y wrote:

months, there is an adjustment screw on the back of the motor/gear box. Climb up there and tighten the chain.
I have not yet found a way to keep the adjustment from moving and slacking the chain.
Paul
On 2/4/2016 10:47 AM, Paul Drahn wrote:

This adjustment is in series with the chain -- i.e., the attachment of the chain is via a variable length (threaded rod) member; shorten it and the chain is effectively tightened. *It* doesn't "move" (with wear).
I'm just curious as to the downside of a slack chain (assuming it is not excessive)
On 2/4/2016 10:08 AM, Don Y wrote:

Paul
On 2/4/2016 11:23 AM, Paul Drahn wrote:

It would have to be *really* loose to sag that much!
Paul Drahn wrote:

On some you can move chain sprocket.

On Thu, 04 Feb 2016 09:04:19 -0700, Don Y

Which I why I've always bought Genie screw drives. My oldest one lasted about 35 years of near daily use. Only repair was to replace the engagement teeth ($10) once.
On 2/5/2016 5:37 PM, >>>Ashton Crusher wrote:

Screw drive openers hae minimum size requirements placed on the garage! I bought one for my BinL as a gift. It sat in an unopened box until long after they sold their condo: couldn't *cut* the screw to make it fit in the space they had available (a chain drive would have been relatively easy to alter).