CFL bulb in range hood ?

Page 2 of 4
On 12/15/2013 11:23 AM, gonjah wrote:

What on earth does not dying have to do with The Tea Party? Perhaps you are humor and irony impaired and didn't notice a dig at the cluster coitus know as Obamacare and the rumored "death panels" where who will live and who will die is decided by some committee. It appears to be happening in other countries which have government supplied health care so it is actually a real concern of some people. I'm not a member of The Tea Party nor do I even know anyone who is a member. The only group I belong to is humanity but there are some who even question that fact. ^_^
TDD

Yes, the two classes of people who got asbestosis were miners and Navy shipbuilders. There have been zero cases of little children in schools getting mesothelioma, regardless of how many ambulance chasers (Democrats) drone on about it.

Pre-Nomex, I presume.

I sure the fuck hope so, I''ll damn near be a hundred by then

I was just telling my grandson that the other day. I use to carry a pocket knife to school and even took my shotgun into shop class because the shop teacher wanted to see it.

A guy I used to work with took his .22 rifle to school with him every day. He lived in New York City (yes, a NYC public school).

Those were the days. We could carry non-concealed Buck knives and our guns could be left in vehicles. My school no longer had a shooting program.

It is the oranic mercury compounds that are particularly dangerous - not the pure metalic mercury.
ChairMan wrote:

Hi, I picked up few so called shatter proof cfl shaped like incandescent bulb wrapped in some kinda thin clear rubbery thing. I use this. From our local HD store.
On 12/14/2013 2:23 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

That's silicone rubber and regular incandescent bulbs coated with clear silicone rubber have been on the market for years. They are usually rough service bulbs for uses in trouble lights which might be dropped and the silicone keeps the glass from coming out of the fixture if the bulb is shattered. ^_^
TDD

guess I'm going to die then because my brother and I had a bottle of mercury that we would pour out on the table and play with when we were kids. Rolling from here to there and making little blobs out of big ones and then back to big ones. Someone please come save me!!!!!!
As a kid in the 30's I would rub mercury onto pennies to make them look like silver. My teeth fillings have mercury in them I am told. Because of my great interest in chemistry I knew NOT to heat it as gold miners did and many lost their lives doing this. To the original poster>>> I use the coiled type in our hallway over head fixtures. They are horizonal mounted. Outlast the tungsten type.

My sister and I did the same thing. Coated dimes with the stuff. Also melted down lead and made fake coins with a plaster mould.

Break a cfl and you must notify the authorities. They will put yellow tape around your house and send in a HAZMAT team to clean up. House may be safe to use again in about a month.
On 12/14/2013 11:49 AM, Frank wrote:

I live in Milwaukee and in one of the suburbs, Shorewood that would probably be true.
About two years ago I crushed a small aluminum V8 can on the curb to leave for a scavenger and a detective stopped me, asked for my license and started to call it in.
He was about the age of my daughter.
I then heard him cancel the call-in and he handed me my license back and said: "I probably don't have to call this in...but that was littering you know!"
On 12/14/2013 1:07 PM, philo wrote:

I was being facetious of course but not that much.
Group can read what the EPA says:
http://www2.epa.gov/cfl/cleaning-broken-cfl
It sets the stage for the types of stupidity you dealt with.
I'm a retired chemist and today's chemophobia is one of my pet peeves.
On 12/14/2013 01:13 PM, Frank wrote:

yes, I know you were being facetious
I am not overly paranoid about CFL's but I would not want one directly in a food area.
On 12/14/2013 1:22 PM, philo wrote:

Remember the '50's? Wasn't it mandatory to have a two or three ringed fluorescent fixture centered over the kitchen table? Fluorescent fixtures beneath the cabinets over food prep areas? Fluorescent fixtures (tubes) housed in decorative fixtures?
They looked like crap and I wouldn't want one in the kitchen solely for esthetic reasons.
The only real problem I have with CFL's is that they look terrible. If they had true color rendition and looked like incandescent, it wouldn't be so bad.
The mercury is or can be a problem but when you raise that issue, the Greenies are quick to point out that "incandescent bulbs are just as bad" Really? or that just more bullshit from the "do as I say crowd?"

I haye them mostly because they give poor light. I have a few in areas that do not require particularly good illumination.
I just cannot believe that no one can prefect LED technology for home lighting. My LED flashlights are great.

They're OK for a basement. Tubes are much better, though. CFLs are a lightbulb designed by committee (Congress).

There's sound technical reasons this hasn't happened. Light bulbs, by their nature, are fairly omnidirectional radiators. LEDs are just the opposite. In flashlights, a directional source is a good thing. For general illumination, not so much.

The early CFL bulbs were garbage, but most of the recent CFL's I've picked up from places like Home Depot have been great. The same "soft white" color temperature (around 2700K) and equal or better brightness. We use them everywhere except on our dimmer circuits where even the dimming bulbs don't work very well. The only downside to the CFL's is they can be a little dim when you first turn them on if it's a cold morning. Only takes a minute or two to get to full brightness though, no biggy.

I picked up three CREE 60W LED bulbs for our kitchen from Home Depot. I am very impressed with them. Instant on, full brightness from the start, and good color temperature. When I first installed them I thought they produced more glare than the standard incandescent bulbs they were replacing, but haven't noticed since then. I don't know if I got used to the different light, or if the glare went away over time. Either way, it's not an issue now.
I will be switching to the CREE LED bulbs as my CFL's burn out.

I just went through the exact same thing. In a short period of time, 3 of our 7 flood incandescents burnt out. I finally decided to try LEDs. Now I have 3 CREEs in there and I'm convinced. Not sure I'll even wait for the other 4 to burn out.
Great looking light color and they work really well with the dimmer.
The only down side is the initial cost.
--
Dan Espen

I dure didn't - they were on sale with a cupon at Home Depot so I bought replacements for all the PARs and everything else the had the bulbs to fit.