Ceramic Tile for small vanity

We have built a small powder room and purchased an older piece of furniture to use for the vanity. It has a top with a sink cut-out. In addition a friend has made a 3/4" plywood top (with a cut-out for a sink) to be screwed on, from the bottom up. The sink is self-r****ng and will sit on top of the tiles.From all that I have been reading it is not good policy to use ceramic tile directly on plywood. However in this case we are talking about a very small area. The finished top will only be 38" side to side (long) and 20" front to back, at it's widest point. The vanity is curved on the front but will sit flat against the wall. As a powder room it will not get lots of traffic. I am going to use 1 3/4" tiles already on a sheet and would like to keep this project as simple as possible.Is there a way I can put the thinset directly onto the plywood or a way that I can seal the plywood to make it possible to eliminate having to use another underlayment?I'll save my second question for later.Thanks

Reply to
Cando

Is there a way I can put the thinset directly

Yes you can put a tile adheasive (not thinset thinset is cement based) over the plywood Yes you can seal the plywood....but look The simple steps in tile are set up for a reason, because they have been proven to work. Variations of them run the risk of failure. How prepared are you to either replace this piece or re-do it in the future? Loose the plywood and replace with an appropriate backer board.

If water gets to the plywood it > We have built a small powder room and purchased an older piece of

Reply to
Italian

Is there a way I can put the thinset directly

Yes you can put a tile adheasive (not thinset thinset is cement based) over the plywood Yes you can seal the plywood....but look The simple steps in tile are set up for a reason, because they have been proven to work. Variations of them run the risk of failure. How prepared are you to either replace this piece or re-do it in the future? Loose the plywood and replace with an appropriate backer board.

If water gets to the plywood it > We have built a small powder room and purchased an older piece of

Reply to
Italian

Italian wrote:> Is there a way I can put the thinset directly> > onto the plywood or a way that I can seal the plywood to make it> > possible to eliminate having to use another underlayment?> Yes you can put a tile adheasive (not thinset thinset is cement based)> over the plywood>

Yes you can seal the plywood....but look> The simple steps in tile are set up for a reason, because they have> been proven to work. Variations of them run the risk of failure. How> prepared are you to either replace this piece or re-do it in the> future?> Loose the plywood and replace with an appropriate backer board.> > >As a powder room it will not get lots of traffic> If water gets to the plywood it only take one time for the wood to> expand and you are sk*%$# and your muttering I should have spent the> extra 20.00 and done it right.> > Cando wrote:>

to use for the vanity. It has a top with a sink cut-out. In> > addition a friend has made a 3/4" plywood top (with a cut-out for a> > sink) to be screwed on, from the bottom up. The sink is self-r****ng> > and will sit on top of the tiles.From all that I have been reading it> > is not good policy to use ceramic tile directly on plywood. However in> > this case we are talking about a very small area. The finished top will> > only be 38" side to side (long) and 20" front to back, at it's widest> > point. The vanity is curved on the front but will sit flat against the> > wall. . I am going to> > use 1 3/4" tiles already on a sheet and would like to keep this project> > as simple as possible.Is there a way I can put the thinset directly> > onto the plywood or a way that I can seal the plywood to make it> > possible to eliminate having to use another underlayment?I'll save my> > second question for later.ThanksReply to Italian:Thank you so much for the comeback. Did not know there was something called "tile adhesive". Weighing my "muttering" against the expense of backerboard! Appreciate the information.

Reply to
Cando