Ceramic Tile

We have a small bathroom on our lower level that has floor to ceiling "50s yellow tile. I am thinking of having the tile surfaced by a firm that does bathtub resurfacing any one tried this our knows of the results?
Frank
I've got the same situation, but my tile is the color of pink puke. My suggestions are based on my desire to destroy, and quickly:
You didn't mention what it costs to resurface, or exactly what material will be used to resurface. But if it were my house, I'd remove the tiles, risk ANY amount of damage to the wall beneath, and if necessary, install all new sheetrock. You could remove the tiles yourself, and hire someone to do the sheetrock. You may have to remove the old sheetrock if it's damaged enough during the tile removal. But, you gain a distinct advantage: You get down to the beams, at which point you can easily install all sorts of things you may want later, like more outlets, a nice fan, etc.
Generally speaking, I think it's very bad to use a non-weird material (like sheetrock, wood or plaster) to cover a material that is definitely in the category of WEIRD, like tile. How is it weird? Imagine that you want to mount a picture or a towel rack. With the three non-weird materials I mentioned, you know exactly what fasteners you'll need (anchors, certain types of screws). But, if there's tile underneath, and another layer of who-knows-what behind the tile, then what? And, imagine what the next homeowner will have to go through. They'll find a way to put a permanent curse on your heathen soul after dealing with a multi layer wall that makes absolutely no sense and breaks all their drill bits.
Do it the clean way. Rip it all out. Don't be like my ex-wife, who watched as I broke multiple nice drill bits trying to hang things in OUR bathroom, and insisted that it would be "nice" to add yet another layer. The wall had panelling on top of plaster on top of what seemed to be 1/8" tin. Behind that was a layer of lath which bowed inward when I tried to drill it. It defied every cutting tool I could come up with, unless I finally used a masonry bit. If I'd gotten my pistol permit sooner, I probably would've tried that before the masonry bit.

Thanks. That was an excellent chuckle.
The sad thing is that in 20 or 30 years, today's newborns will be saying the same thing about our granite counters and stainless appliances.
And yet strangely enough, I've seen places remodeled with new, shag carpeting. I guess it all comes around sooner or later.
JSH

Chuckle? I'm mad!!!! My bathroom is disgusting. I just bought this house, and I made the exact same mistakes (at age 51) that I did when I bought the last place (at age 31): I fell in love with the land and the trees because I'm a gardener before anything else. I didn't notice that the bathroom is hideous and the work flow arrangement in the kitchen is a joke. I *did* notice that the wiring was done by an anal retentive electrician. The wires in the cellar are straighter than a highway running through Iowa. Amazing.
Back to the bathroom: Pass the explosives.
Sorry to be unclear the resurface material is sprayed on much like paint. The same coating has been used in bathtubs with various results. I hope walls since they are not always wet should work out even better Frank

"50s
does

the biggest issue with this other than durability is that they point over the tile and grout. You loose the distinction between the two and the end result doesnt look very nice. Kind of looks like that cheap 4X8 sheets of stuff you used to buy for $5.
Steve B.
Hey, they came to my house after they left yours. I called it Pepto-Bismol Pink. I rented a chipping hammer, often called a demolition hammer. Looks like a big drill with a chisel tip. Cost 20 dollars for 4 hours, that's all I needed. I used it along the studs, which is where the metal lath is attached. Then I was able to use an angle grinder to cut the metal lath, and the tile stuff came off incredibly easily. Not much dust dust, not nearly as much as if I'd tried to beat it all with a heavy hammer. Since those walls have no insulation, I put in slabs of Styrofoam that were sufficient to come exactly even with the studs. Then I just used Greenboard on the walls, it's seriously solid with that Styrofoam backing. And it's not nearly as easy to hear someone fart in the bathroom now. Ya know, there's a lot of wasted space in the 2x6 wall. So I added a 2x2 to them, used the space between for shelves, and covered it with cabinet doors that were a dollar apiece at a flea market. Since there was so much storage space, I was able to justify a pedistal sink, that gives enormously more room in the bathroom. (Don't let your wives see this post.)

Michael Baugh wrote:

I've been watching a show on DIY called Bathroom Remodeling. A woman is doing a gut-rehab on her bathroom, with some help from her father and the occasional professional for plumbing and such.
http://diynet.com/diy/shows_dbr/0,2044,DIY_14278,00.html
Her starting point was that pink tile, see:
http://images.scrippsweb.com/DIY/2003/09/18/dbr101_1fb_d.jpg
Brian
My next big project is a 1963 pepto bathroom too. What was with this folks? Was it Jackie K?
I am just going to take it down to the studs and start over. I think trying a surgical removal of the tile will take longer than hanging a few sheets of Durashield.
I have give a BIG recommendation for Miracle Method. Had them recolor a bath with tile that looked like popcorn flavor jelly bellies (yellowish white with brown speckles). Last time I saw the bath (tub too) was 6 years after the work and it still looked great - ONLY bathroom in the house with 2- 4 residents, plus home washed large dogs.
--
Claudia