Central Heat / Air Question

Hi all,

Upon arrival at my home I noticed the digital thermostat for my a/c / heat unit was blank (no reading). Upon removal of the digital thermostat I notice there is no power to any of the wires leading up to the thermostat. There is power to the a/c unit itself, but not to the thermostat. Any ideas why?

TIA,

Tim

Reply to
Scott

The digital thermostat I have has a battery in the thermostat portion. Your mileage might vary. ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 20:31:30 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Scott" quickly quoth:

See if there's a fuse on your furnace unit which covers the 24-volt supply which handles the electronics like the t-stat. Also trace the wiring and make sure none of them has vibrated loose or broken.

------------------------------------------------------------------ Vote early, Vote often, Vote for Chad!

Comprehensive Website & Database Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

If there really _is_ no power on the leads (which would NOT normally result in a blank thermostat -- that's more likely dead batteries), then (more or less in order of probability):

popped fuse or breaker failed transformer failed wiring (e.g. rodent gnawing)

Reply to
CJT

The power at the thermostat base should be about 24 volts AC, or alternating current. Not to be confused with AC which is air conditioning.

As another poster wrote, many digital thermostats require batteries.

If the thermostat still isn't getting 24 VAC, check to see if the power is on for the furnace. Switch on the side, and circuit breaker.

I'm not sure how comfortable you are with working with electric, so I won't go much farther with advice.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Depending upon how old the unit is; they used to have a transformer to supply the 24 volts hanging like an accessory in the furnace closet or area. Those failing wasn't unheard of or even extremely rare. They are a common hardware item as they are also used for door-bell transformers.

Reply to
Eric in North TX