Central air vs. mini split ?

Forced air systems are MADE for central air, and vice versa.
The ducting will be optimized for one or the other, but useable for both - or possibly a compromise for both - but it works.
I worked for several years, helping a friend with his HVAC business. We installed central AC into systems which had been designed for heat only. Very possible, and we did a bunch of them. Of course, the HVAC folks in your area may or may not offer this service. The boss didn't discuss prices with me, so I'm not sure what this all costs.
On 8/23/2013 12:52 PM, John Albert wrote:

There is no one answer. Central air can be installed in any house. It comes down to cost. If no ducts, you can run them, often trough attic spaces or from the basement, through closets, etc. Since you are looking at ranch stile, it may even be possible to install the evaporator and blower in the attic.
As for using existing duct work, that depends on the layout and size. It may be possible, but it may have severe design limits too. That will vary with each house.
Mini splits usually are easier to install. They also have the advantage of being operated in just the zones you want to cool if you have a portion of the house not occupied. The practicality will be determined by the layout of the house.
Keep an open mind until you finally find your dream house and have a couple of HVAC contractors look at it.
Better yet, build your own energy efficient house and install the geothermal right from the start. Use ICF construction and it will be quiet and strong.
On Saturday, August 24, 2013 8:16:19 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You're in CT I think? Are you seeing geothermal being economically advantageous there? I'm not up on the latest prices, but I haven't seen anything that changes what it needs, eg wells drilled, etc that make it cost a whole lot of money. I guess if nat gas isn't available, and oil is the other choice, then maybe it could make sense. There is one system installed here in my neighborhood. But with nat gas available there, it makes no sense to me.
On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 07:22:07 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

I know of two geothermal installations. One was done because he could, not because of any money savings. The other was for economy, but I don't know the detail, but it is a very long payback. From what little I know, the well cost is the one big deterrent.
Wish I could get gas. I did upgrade my oil boiler and save a bunch, but gas would be better yet.
about 6 years ago I got a new 90+ furnace with AC installed in my 1950 2 story home. Goodman cost under 4 grand and its worked great. used all existing ductwork except the plenemum to the furnace. central air is wonderful