Central Air not working

Hello, I turned on my AC for the fist time this year and it is not working. Cold air is not coming out of the vents the vents themselves are just slightly cooler then the rest of the house. Air is not being sucked into the intakes inside the house. The outside unit is running, the fan is spinning but if the air is not going inside, where is it going? Does this suggest problem anyone has encountered before? Thanks

Reply to
Unused Classified

Yes....I have central air and if you start up your unit and drop the thermostat drastically it puts the air conditioner into "overdrive" and the radiator that the air flows through basically plugs with frost....best thing you can do is shut off your AC unit and allow to thaw for 4-6 hrs and then fire back up but SLOWLY drop the temp over a 24 hr period... Jim

Reply to
Jim

Do you know anything about the furnace blower, can you hear it running if you go next to the furnace? Is any air, cold or not, coming out of the registers? If not, then the furnace blower is not running, or the air filter is clogged, or the A-coil inside the furnace is frozen over as the previous poster suggested.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Hi, Did do any pre-season check like replacing filter, cleaning outside unit, etc. Like said maybe coil got frozen up.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Turn it off immediately. It is NOT good to have the condenser on without the air handler. The air handler (indoor blower fan) is either not on which means someone screwed-up the installation or it is on but for some reason the air is not circulating such as a blocked evaporator. In either case turn it off before the compressor is damaged.

Reply to
Molly Brown

You didn't really supply enough information for us to have any idea. You can research AC repair, online. However, it sounds like time to call a HVAC repair company.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You leave some holes in your story.

Cold air is not coming out. What about warm air?

The outside fan is spinning? Or the inside fan?

You probably mean the outside. What about the inside fan. Does the furnace/AC cabinet vibrate at all, or make any noise? What?

Are you a troll? The air never goes inside. The liquid in the pipe does.

Reply to
mm

You have to be kidding, "if you lower the thermostat dramaticly it puts it in overdrive" not so it just on or off. Freezing the coil, [ its not a radiator] is one of several things, low freon or low air flow. "4-6 hrs wait" no you dont even know what the issue is, just look at the coil to SEE if its frozen, it could be many things. Learn a bit about ACs

Reply to
ransley

Is the blower running on the furnace or air handler, take a look see.

Reply to
ransley

You're over your head dude, call a service guy.

Reply to
Shaun

There is no "overdrive" on home A/C units.

Ice on the evaporator coils almost always indicates LOW Freon.

No cold air and no ice almost always indicates NO Freon.

Reply to
HeyBub

You have to be kidding, "if you lower the thermostat dramaticly it puts it in overdrive" not so it just on or off. Freezing the coil, [ its not a radiator] is one of several things, low freon or low air flow. "4-6 hrs wait" no you dont even know what the issue is, just look at the coil to SEE if its frozen, it could be many things. Learn a bit about ACs

As tradesman...I used "overdrive " as a figure of speech....and also coil, rad, potato tomato... Hadn't realized I was talking to an idiot....sorry...will get the terminology right for those that have there noses pressed to the owners manual... Jim

Reply to
Jim

.

You calling me an idiot? Look in the mirror. Ok mr know it all "Bozo Jim AC Pro "Tradesman"", lets see if you can possibly expain just how my single speed AC goes into overdive, You cant can you, because it doesnt. This is "are you smarter than a 4th grader" stuff, or " here`s your sign" or a " caveman can do it" are you really that dumb. And Ive never read an AC manual, this is simple logic, Bozo Jim the "tradesman".

Reply to
ransley

.

Jim:

The OP obviously didn't know much, and your choice of words therefore was VERY POOR. You should have said that it would be turned on for a long period of time and that the evaporator coil could freeze solid and block the air flow. Ransley was right, altho his choice of words was over the top, as he frequently does.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Over the top? well maybe but he was rude and wrong so Im just returning the favor.

Reply to
ransley

You calling me an idiot? Look in the mirror. Ok mr know it all "Bozo Jim AC Pro "Tradesman"", lets see if you can possibly expain just how my single speed AC goes into overdive, You cant can you, because it doesnt. This is "are you smarter than a 4th grader" stuff, or " here`s your sign" or a " caveman can do it" are you really that dumb. And Ive never read an AC manual, this is simple logic, Bozo Jim the "tradesman".

I don't argue with idiots....they just bring you down to there level and beat you with experience....so go just go away idiot... Jim

Reply to
Jim

You mean their? level

Reply to
hrhofmann

You still dont get the basics, a regular AC system doesnt do overdrive or anything else but On and Off, the idiot it you.

Reply to
ransley

Since it says "hide quoted text" aparently he's posting from Google Groups?

You're right about the spelling correction.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"ransley" wrote

Not even if you set the thermostat really really low? ; )

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski