Celing Fan Wiring & Testing Voltage (Hampton Bay)

I have a Ceiling Fan that just stopped working after a Power Surge in my home. I tripped the Switch in the box in my Garage and everything else turned back on except the fan. I want to know which wires do I test with a Voltage Tester in order to find out if there IS power going to the fan. Of course it's possible the Motor or Switch in the Fan did blow. After taking it apart, there are a ton of wires up there, probably due to the Forward Reverse Switch & the Fast Slow Switch on fan. But I don't know what I'm looking at. I obviously don't have a clue. I want to be careful as to not kill myself. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Read the recent post here " please help diagnose an electrical Problem." Its about a similar fan/light problem.

You should have 110volts between the white and black wire. As you pull the string or move the switch, the black wire voltage will be transferred to all the other wires that go into the motor while leaving the white wire connected.

Did you switch the fan off and forget to move it back? Does the light work when you turn the switch on?
If you have the fan down with the wires still connected be very careful. I would put colored tape on the wires in the box and take the fan loose. You did take the blades off. Right?
If I read you correctly then you do not have a wall switch for the fan. The wall switch controls the light only.
If this is the case then you should only have 4 wires connected from the fan to the box. One is the hot (most likely black) this could be connected to many wires in the box.
Another one is for the switch connection for the light (most likely red or blue) This could be connected to a single black or red wire in the box. This wire could also be connected to a lone white wire, but if it is then your electrician did not follow the proper color code. It is not electrically wrong, but not the proper way to connect the switch.
One is white
The other is bare with no insulation or green.
You should have power on the black to bare. You get power on the red to bare when the wall switch is on. If this happens then it is in the fan itself.
OK. The fan is up & working perfectly. I just color cordinated the wires. Black to Black, Green to Green (Ground) and White to white. I left the Red & the Bare wire from Ceiling alone and not connected to anything. I thought those 2 wires were for a Light, which I do not have on my fan. Was that wrong ? I don't have a light on this fan. The Green wire was a wire Grounded to the Fan plate and another Green from out of Ceiling. Again, it's working Switches & all, no shocks either, which is a good thing. Terry wrote:

The red wire is likely to be for a light. The bare wire should be ground. It looks like both would be grounds, that need to be connected to each other.

But your fan may not be grounded properly.

Mark Lloyd
OK. The fan is up & working perfectly. I just color cordinated the wires. Black to Black, Green to Green (Ground) and White to white. I left the Red & the Bare wire from Ceiling alone and not connected to anything. I thought those 2 wires were for a Light, which I do not have on my fan. Was that wrong ? I don't have a light on this fan. The Green wire was a wire Grounded to the Fan plate and another Green from out of Ceiling. Again, it's working Switches & all, no shocks either, which is a good thing. Terry wrote:

Dino wrote:

You should have used a wirenut to put bare to bare. If you didn't have a leftover wirenut then you should have a green screw on the metal base for the bare wires.
I would put a piece of tape on that loose red wire too.
I did put a piece of Tape on the loose Red Wire. But I left the Bare Unattached to anything but out of the way of all other wiring,stuck it up in the hole in ceiling totally out of the way. I guess my question is, can leaving the Bare not attached to the Green Grounds be dangerous ? I did connect the Green coming out of the ceiling to the Green attached to the Fan Plate, which I'm guessing is the Ground. The safety issue is my concern. The fan works perfectly. Thanks a lot for everyone's help. Appreciate it ! Terry wrote:

It's unlikely to hurt anything, but it's also likely to not be grounded right. AFAIK a green (rather than bare) wire is usually a pigtail connected to a particular device (such as the fan, or ceiling box) and the bare is part of the power supply to that location. You may be able to tell which is which.
The green wire you connected, may just go to that green screw.

sure it should be connected. The mounting bracket needs to be connected to the ceiling box or the bare wire in the box and the fan needs to be connected to the bracket.
I can't understand why there is a Green Wire & a Bare Wire coming from the Ceiling. Everyone I ask, says Green is Ground. So why would I have 2 Grounds ? Very Strange ! Has anyone ever heard of this before ? btw, the house was built in 1996 & I live in Florida. Or just maybe I should haved tied both Green wires together with the Bare Wire. I would hate to have to undo the fan just to add the bare wire to the 2 Greens. Terry wrote:

Once again. the Green Wire from the Ceiling, I tied to the Green Wire on Mounting Plate. So it SHOULD be grounded. Correct ? Terry wrote:

it will work? Probably.
The only time you need the ground is if an unsafe condition happens. It is like insurance. It is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
If the hot wire ever gets nicked so the power is touching the case you could be electrocuted if you touch the case. If the fixture is properly grounded then the breaker would trip instead.
I don't think you have an extra ground wire. All grounds should be connected at one point or the other. The wire from the box and the wire from the fan should be connected to the bracket.

I think it's likely the bare wire is the ground associated with the power supply (should be a good ground) and the green is a short wire used for grounding the ceiling box.
The fan may or may not be grounded without that bare wire connected. This PROBABLY won't hurt anything.

Mark Lloyd