Celing Fan Installation

"cut a 2x4 to fit snug between the joists and drive 2 log screws into each side.then screw the electrical box to it from below. easypeasyjapaneesy "

Yeah, that's easy if you don't mind ripping apart the ceiling to do it. I assumed the OP could easily figure out how to do it, with the ceiling open. I think the question was how to do it with just an opening the size of an electrical box.

Reply to
trader4

Folks,

I need to install a ceiling fan in a very old house. I have installed many ceiling fans, but they have always been between joists that were 16" to 24" apart.

The distance between the joists at the point that the ceiling fan is to be installed is 10".

Is anyone aware of a ceiling fan support device that can fit in that space? All the joist devices I can find are for 16" to 24" spaces.

Thanks.

I need to install a ceiling fan in a very old house. I have installed many ceiling fans, but they have always been between joists that were

16" to 24" apart. The distance between the joists at the point that the ceiling fan is to be installed is 10". Is anyone aware of a ceiling fan support device that can fit in that space? All the joist devices I can find are for 16" to 24" spaces.

--------------------------------- i usually cut a 2x4 to fit snug between the joists and drive 2 log screws into each side.then screw the electrical box to it from below. easypeasyjapaneesy

ds549

Westinghouse makes a ceiling fan brace, model 1100 which will extend to 24 inches. I've had occasion where the beams were close and I just cut the brace to whatever size I need. It works just fine. These are sold at Home Depot

Reply to
RBM

Rip apart the ceiling? Have you not heard of an "attic"?

Reply to
Dan C

"Rip apart the ceiling? Have you not heard of an "attic"? "

Yes, have you heard of common sense? From the question posed, it seemed obvious to me that he wouldn't be asking questions related to what to put between 2 joists 10 inchs apart, if he could get access to it from above. He even mentioned that the std spreader bars, which are used for old work where you don't have access, were too long to fit. Many installs, like on a first floor of a two story home, or from a cathedral ceiling don't have an attice. Get it now?

Reply to
trader4

Cannot rip apart the ceiling: the fan is being installed in the middle of a rosette (original house design). It is on the 2nd floor of a 3-story building (therefore no attic).

I've looked at the 1100. I don't quite see how I can cut the brace. Both ends seem to be pretty well crimped in. Have you un-crimped it and reinstalled the business end of the brace to make it short?

That's a new one. You might try to get the manufacture name and email address from the 16-24 support type and see if one can be special ordered.

Rich

Reply to
evodawg

evodawg