Ceiling skimming .....

Hiya all, can anybody tell me the best way to break up large ceiling areas for skimming?
cheers..jezza...
get it tested for asbestos first
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote this message:

Abe wrote:

big for me to skim it in one hit so advice would be appreciated.
cheers...jezza.....

in one go. Skim as usual, just gradually feather out to nothing where you'll be continuing the next day. Start at the feathered edge the next day, and backfeather as needed. That's all there is to it.

If you're on a ladder, the best you can hope for is a three-by-three foot square assuming a normal adult armspan. This gives you about five feet on diagonal (well, 4.25'), and is probably as far as you'd want to stretch your arm overhead from your center of gravity.
Three-by-three squares also give you the opportunity to skimcoat at least one taped joint in each square.
If you're on a scaffold, I suspect the areas might be larger, but I've never tried that method so wouldn't hazard a guess.
-Frank
--
Here\'s some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com /