ceiling grime

Though the previous owners of our house had the air ducts cleaned roughly 3 yrs ago, I have that awful gray dust and dirt build-up around some of my air vents on my popcorn ceiling (yuk). Any suggestions on how to clean it?
THANKS!
--
J Allen

J Allen wrote:

My suggestion is to vacuum - brush as much off as possible and follow that with new ceiling paint.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Joseph Meehan wrote:

Also use a primer - dealer like Killit
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
On Sat, 9 Sep 2006 15:52:31 +0100, J Allen

Dust can be introduced from the attic at or near the vent, pull the vents and inspect. Maybe even the ducts are damaged. -- Oren

If the ceiling is painted, just dust it off and wipe it lightly with a damp cloth where necessary. If it's not painted, scrape it off, stomp it, and then paint it. I dislike popcorn ceilings.
On Sat, 9 Sep 2006 15:52:31 +0100, J Allen

I let my oil furnace run without a tuneup for too long**, such that I could smell oil when the furnace was running, and I got oil dirt (i guess it is) by my ducts and on my ceilings where convection air whorls made triangles of dirt with convex sides.
I was told to get an emulsifier at a a janitorial supply company (such as Sterling Chemical) and I got a gallon and diluted some as the instructions said, and so far it doesn't seem to be doing much.
I've only tried it on the inside of the bathroom door which is next to a heating vent.
Maybe I should try it full-strength? Or is this not really going to work at all?
I'm prepared to repaint, but not this week. The recommendation I got said the oil would come right off with the emulsifier. So I'd like to either avoid painting some places, or have it as clean as possible when I do.
**I don't understand why having a partly clogged nozzle or badly adjusted electrodes would lead to dirt in my heated air. There is a metal separation between the fire box and the hot air box. Isn't that supposed to keep the dirt out the heated air?

mm wrote:

If soot comes out of the furnace, you have a leak in the heat exchanger.
This has two problems
1.Dirty air 2. Combustion byproducts - particularly carbon monoxide, are in the air now. Not healthy and potentially life threatening.