Ceiling fan switch problem?

I have a ceiling fan that ever since I have been in the house doesn't work correct. It only goes at one speed. I assume it should go at more than one speed. You click the chain one time and the fan goes a certain speed. Somewhat slow/medium. You click the chain once more and then the fan stops. You click it again and nothing happens. You click it one more time and nothing happens. Then you click it again and it turns at the same speed as before. So is it the switch? How can I quickly tell if it's a multiple speed fan. I assume it is since there's another fan in the same room that looks like it that is multiple speed. (3).
Sounds like it's the switch to me. I have the same problem with a 3-position light switch - two 'positions' aren't working. You can probably get a replacement switch at Lowes or HD for a couple bucks if you are so inclined to replace it your self, otherwise get an electrician to do it for around $50.

stops.
speed
Take the old one out and take it to Home Depot. Some fans use just a mechanical switch; some use a capacitor unit in conjunction w/ a switch. And some use a single switch to control both fan AND lights.

stops.
speed