Ceiling fan not working

My wife noticed my son's ceiling fan was moving VERY slowly on night when he had it on. The she shut it off, the next day I went to check it out and nothing happens now. I can just hear a very slight hum from the motor when it is turned on. WHat might be wrong ? Do these fan motors go out alot ? I have since, made sure the fan part is turned off and removed the pull chain from the switch so he can't turn it on. Thanks, Raz
Hilltop Cycle ATV wrote:

    I hope this fan is NOT on a dimmer switch? Only two things could account for the slow movement, (assuming the fan speed is set correctly) low voltage to the fan or a bad fan.

Yes. Could be the motor bearing worn and not easily turned. Turn on the power and give the blades a spin by hand If it goes, it is probably that, but it may be cheaper to replace it than have the bearings replaced, unless you can do it yourself.
Why replace berrings when relube will probably work? Cheaper to clean and relube. I don't replace my car when the oil gets black.
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

he
Another suggestion. Most fans I have seen have 3 or more speeds and a forward and reverse. Have you checked other positions?
I have had one fan in my life do this. Motors do go out.