Ceiling fan light kit question

Are the light kits brand or model specific? The ones I saw in the store didn't appear to be usable with my existing ceiling fan. All I want to do is change the light fixture part of it.

Reply to
scott21230

It certainly makes sense that they'd be brand & model specific. However, within certain brands, you may find light kits usable with more than one model.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Some are, some are not. If your particular light kit is attached via an 1/8" threaded nipple, it's a universal light kit, and can be replaced with almost any of that type. Usually the less expensive fans have universal type light kits

Reply to
RBM

It looks like there a threaded nipple, then there is the piece containing the motor switch(s) for direction and speed, then the lighting fixture mounted on the bottom of that piece. It almost looks like I can use a standard one but cut the top off and drill three holes in it for the screws though.

Reply to
scott21230

You might want to post a picture. Typically the "box" with the motor reversing switch and pull chain control,for the fan, has a bottom cover, which screws to the box, It would have a 1/8" threaded tap in it for a light kit, which would simply screw onto the nipple

Reply to
RBM