Ceiling fan, light for low ceiling

The ceilings in our bedrooms are barely 7' 5". In several rooms the previous owner installed low-profile ceiling fans with lights. The fan blades are 7" from the ceiling at their lowest and the light globes extend to approximately 14".
The master bedroom doesn't have a fan or a light. Because it's a larger room, the ceiling looks even lower than it does in the other rooms. I want to add a ceiling fan, we need more light, and I'd love to create the illusion of a higher ceiling. These are three separate issues but if I can address more than one at the same time, that would be great.
I really don't want a central ceiling light because I think they create glare and I'd be looking at it while reading in bed making reading harder than it already is. I found a fan with an uplight which I think would add light without creating glare (esp. diffusing off a flat-finish white ceiling) and add to the illusion of a higher ceiling. However, the blades of the fan extend to 12" below the ceiling (just 6 '5" off the floor).
I'm now thinking I'll get a ceiling-hugging fan with no light at all and worry about light another time.
Any thoughts?

*Put in a flush mount fan only. Install recessed lights for general illumination.

Yeah, that's kind of where I was headed.

Yeah, that's kind of where I was headed.
I agree as well, just be sure to keep the recessed lights far enough away from the fan blades to prevent a strobe effect.
John Grabowski wrote:

Low-profile fan, and some upward-pointing sconces high on walls, bouncing off ceiling. The right fixtures, and they will be glare free. Or go late50's retro, and put a band of wood as a valance around the top of drapes, and put lights in there.
--
aem sends....

Our son's house has <8' ceilings in the upstairs and the bedroom assigned to us when visiting has a ceiling fan. Trust me, in the AM, it's no fun putting on your shirts or tee shirt, reaching up and contacting the fan blades. <grin> My suggestion would be to place a wall mounted circulating fan in the corner of the room and stick with a plain BR ceiling light.
--
Nonny
On most days,

I can see that. Most of the fan will be above the bed and we usually get dressed in the walk-in closet.

Well, I really *do* *not* want a light there but thanks.
On Thu, 6 May 2010 10:50:04 -0700 (PDT), Christopher Nelson

Use a shorter pipe (drop down pipe ?). Replace the original pipe with a shorter one, located in the fan section at the store.
Oh, a shorter "Downrod"
pic:
http://common.csnstores.com/common/marketing/downrods.jpg

I have a flush mount fan in my bedroom and use two torch type lights that have dimmers in corners to light up the room. Works fine for me.

Might feel like living an an old movie...