Caulking around pool and sink - help please!

I have 2 questions about caulking.
1. My kitchen sink had caulking around the perimeter where it's mounted. I don't know when this was done/installed, although by the looks of the caulking I'd say more than 5 years ago. What can I use to clean this old dry and carcking caulking? I'm going to use a clear type caulking to replace it.
2. My inground pool has a 3 step insert at one edge. Between its edges and the concrete, there is a 2 mm gap all around. Would it be safe to use caulking to seal this edge so water doesn't go in behind the step insert?
Thanks in advance.

For the pool area, use Deck-O-Seal
http://www.deckoseal.com /
Dave