Portable Air Conditioner noisy (the kind on casters)

I purchased a Royal Sovereign 9000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner. This is the kind that doesn't mount in a window, and is on casters. (I can't use a window unit where I live) The unit works, but I'm disappointed that it is rather noisy. I have a Radio Shack Sound Level Meter and at the "A Weighting" setting (the less sensitive setting) I"m getting a measurement of

62db at around 3 feet from the unit. Believe it or not, the fan itself makes most of the noise (at the lower speed) and the compressor only makes a 1 or 2 db difference. There is no published spec for noise on the unit I bought.

I notice that there are other units that are advertised as having lower sound levels, such as the "Edge Star 9000btu" which is said to have a noise level of less than 54db, and the "Delonghi PAC-03" which is said to have a noise level of 50db or less.

Is it likely true that the above two units are actually 8 to 12 db quieter than mine? I'd hate to go through the trouble of returning the Royal Soverign only to find that the published specs on the other two units are false. Should I return the Royal Sovereign and try one of the other units? (Keep in mind that this it will be a major pain in the neck repackaging this thing and returning it to Sears, and the other units are only available to me via UPS or Fedex shipping.)

Thanks,

J.

Reply to
jay

We had DeLonghi units before we installed central AC and they were very noisy as any portable unit is going to be. I don't think it would be worth it to return the unit you have. Sitting in a room with 50db or 68db is going to be sitting in a room with something loud. As long as it's cooling, I'd stick with it.

Reply to
CAStinneford

I'd hate to return mine and buy another only to find out that they measured the noise level specs for those other units in an "anechoic chamber" and they're not noticeably quieter than mine.

J.

Reply to
jay