Cathederal Ceiling

This is a dumb question, but if you put in a cathedral ceiling in a room would it require more heat in the winter to keep the room warm?

Tracy

Reply to
James Repetski

Heat rises, doesn't it? The higher the ceiling the more the heat rises to fill the space.

Reply to
JerryL

It depends - while heat loss is a function of room volume (among other things), the slope of the ceiling doesn't matter. So if you compare two rooms of equal volume - one with 11' ceilings against a room with a linear 8' to 14' cathedral ceiling for example, the heat loss will be the same.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Nono. It's proportional to wall and ceiling surface exposed to the outdoors.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

A fine point, but one which I will concede willingly.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

And I omitted....don't forget about the floor / slab.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

That's not exactly correct, but the OP is asking about keeping warm, not heat loss. He's also not asking about which size room is easier to heat. The only variable is the ceiling configuration.

Higher ceiling, more volume, more heat required to keep a person warm...unless said person was bitten by a radioactive spider and spends quality time scurrying around the ceiling.

RicodJour

There are a lot of factors and construction details will make a big difference.

I would say that in general there would be a little difference and it will require more heat in the winter. You may or may not be able to recover some of that with lower cooling cost during the summer.

Good construction will minimize the differences.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Mech Engineer on bowleing alley project talked about stratification.. As I understand it, if the air is introduced at a given level with enough momentum / volume, zones of temperature above and below are separate. Is there an HVAC expert in the house? TB

Reply to
tbasc

I had cathedrals in my last house some places were almost 20 feet high. Summer time it seemed like the a/c worked longer than the previous house. Bills were about the same. Winter was comfortable to me. I live in Phoenix so the location your talking about would have a lot to do with the situation.

Personally I will not have high ceiling again. Just to echoie for me.

Reply to
SQLit

So you need a fan up there to push it back down

Reply to
Rudy

Room A is 20x20x11, with 4400 ft^3 of volume and 2(20+20)11 = 880 ft^2 of walls and 20x20 = 400 ft^2 of ceiling, ie 1280 ft^2 of heat-losing surface.

Room B is 20xL, with V = 20x8xL+2x1/2x10x6 = 220L = 4400, so L = 20, with

2(20+20)8 of walls + 2sqrt(6^2+10^2)20 of sloped roof + 120 ft^2 of gables, ie 1226 ft^2 of heat-losing surface.

Room C is 20x20x8, with V = 3200 ft^3 and 2(20x20)8 + 20x20 = 1040 ft^2 of heat-losing surface.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Good analysis, Nick....thanks.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Playing at math to show that a larger room has more surface area is an analysis...? More like a waste of time.

RicodJour

Some earlier RicodJour seems to have c> > This is a dumb question, but if you put in a cathedral ceiling in a