Cat wrecked heating insulation

We live in a small apartment and have a new furnace heater which feeds the hot air through a simple duct system. The heater is in one of the closets and the ducts are insulated with what looks like some type of soft aluminum foil wrapped around some cushy insulation. In a couple of spots, there is wrapped also some of that soft, fluffy insulation I guess to reinforce the areas where the ducts meet.

(Well, you can already see how sophisticated my knowledge is about home improvement.)

A few times our cat got into the closet and used the insulation as a scratching post -- so there are some tears in the soft tin foil part. She also pulled apart the soft fluffy insulation where it was used outside of the ducts.

Finally, she actually caused an elbow where the dicts meet to come apart so I had to refasten it.

My question is, considering that her claws did only minimal damage to the insulation, is there any danger in running the heater?

Also, does the soft fluffy insulation pose any kind of threat? I mean is it like asbestos or anything?

Thanks in advance for any knowledgeable input!

Reply to
Men

The fiberglass insulation isn't something you want wafting around your air. When installing it, it's customary to wear a dust mask. Skin contact can cause itching unless it's rinsed off, preferably with cool water. Don't touch your eyes after you've touched the insulation, unless you've washed your hands.

Tell the cat to stop behaving like a dog. If you can't train all the humans to keep the closet locked, sprinkle a shitload of cayenne powder all over the heater ducts and on the floor around them. Two or three encounters with that stuff will usually teach the average cat.

This could be worse. You could have a dog. Think positive.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

That's why they make duct tape.

Pj

Reply to
PJX

Without seeing it I would not want to make any comments on the safety of using the system as it is. While it is likely not a safety issue, I can't be sure. You may want a professional to take a look.

Also provide the cat with a better and more convenient scratching tool. Mine like the cardboard ones. One likes it flat on the floor and the other wants it attached to something to use it vertical and high enough so he can stretch up to it.

You will also want to provide protection to keep the cat away from the damaged area. Keeping the closet door shut might do it. :-)

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Joseph,

You've lost me here. She has some damaged insulation around her heating ducts which she describes as minimal yet you raise the red flag of danger and suggest calling a heating guy. What danger do you imagine here. She needs to fix the ripped insulation with duct tape and deal with the cat. Calling a pro would be a waste of money unless she has completely mis-stated her problem. Would you call a pro for some cat torn insulation on duct work, yourself?

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

I strongly suggest common duct tape not be used for this. It has many uses, but taping ducts in not one of them. While it may hold up a little better on the cooler insulation, it just does not last all that long.

Getting the real thing (the shinny silver metal tape) is a much better ideal. It is more expensive, and a little harder to work with (it has a paper cover on the adhesive that must be removed) but it last much longer.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Its fiberglass a skin ,eye irritant. Use the real aluminum tape for ducts not " duct" tape. You wont harm the furnace but will loose efficiency.

Reply to
m Ransley

If someone asks about the nature of fiberglass insulation, would you say they have MORE experience fixing things around the house, or LESS? Perhaps she's a member of the generation that thinks books will explode if you open them, and won't go near the public library or the book display at Home Depot.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Cats love fiberglass. When I was insulating a new addition on my home, the cat insisted on laying on the roll I was using. I finally had to cage up the cat. Why it dont make them itchy is beyond me.

Put duct tape on those heating ducts to repair the bad spots and you should be fine. While at it, put a spring on the closet door to be sure the door shuts.

M&M

Reply to
M&M