Cart wheel problem

I have a new yard cart to replace my 30 year-old cast-iron wheel barrow that finally "dissolved" away.... Here's what the new cart looks like:

And here's an "exploded" parts view:

It works great in normal use. However, I have about 10 cubic yards of dirt that I need to haul up a side hill in this thing. Steep, rough ground, and no other way to get the dirt in there, that I can afford, anyway.

So, the axle of the cart (no. 3 on the parts list) has slid through the U-clamp (no. 8 on the parts list, and now the right hand cart wheel is rubbing against the poly cart tray.

Sure, I can loosen the clamp, pull the axle back into position and try to clamp down the U-clamp even tighter, although it is pretty tight already, but I suspect I'll have no luck.

Anyone have any bright idea on keeping the axle in place?

Reply to
timbirr

Firstly, I couldn't get your link to the "arts breakdown" to work even when I played around with adding the missing "6" at the end. And, I spent about ten frustrating minutes on the agri-fab website trying to find that page, but couldn't seem to get any further than the parts list. I think their site may be bust.

But, as it appears that the axle is 3/4" diameter I'd suggest that you just cross drill it on either side of that U-clamp with a 3/32" drill and insert a couple of cotter pins or bent finishing nails to keep it in position. If there's TWO U clamps, just drill one hole thru the axle on the inner side of each clamp.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I appreciate your dogged determination LOL. Sorry the link to the "exploded parts" didn't work for you.

I converted it to a tiny URL, and hopefullythis will work for anyone who is still interested.

Someone else zapped a note my way suggesting putting PVC around the axle to stop the axle from sliding through the brackets when it is heavily loaded and being used a slope. Since the PVC idea is "reversible," I think I'll try it first and then if that proves unsatisfactory, possibly try your idea.

Thanks for the help, sorry for the frustration.....

Reply to
timbirr

Yep, worked fine.

I take that to be a couple of pieces of PVC pipe cut to the right lengths to act as spacers between the inner wheel washers and either the two brackets or that center clamp.

That should work just fine, and depending on your tool availability might be easier for you to accomplish than drilling a couple of extra holes in the axle. A couple of spacers made from metal conduit or even copper pipe would also do it, of course.

For me it'd be "a matter of a moment" to stick the axle in my drill press' vise and pop a couple of holes through it, prolly less time than I'd I'd spend scrounging around for tubing, measuring, marking and cutting two pieces. But, "whatever floats your boat", eh?

Naw, it wuz just my anal compulsivity. I hate to give up.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

If you can find a chunk of pipe with the same ID as the OD of the axel, then using locktite to glue a length of that that just fits between the mounts would work. Failing that, about 30 wraps of duct tape, a hose clamp, and a big-ass washer on each side of each "bearing" would probably work.

Reply to
Goedjn

Cable clamps made for steel cable should clamp right over the shaft.

Reply to
rjackson