Carpet - tuck or no tuck?

Hi all:
I am installing carpeting in two rooms where the current baseboard is too low for the carpet to be tucked. I am debating between removing the baseboard and re-installing at the proper height for tucking (not sure if baseboard will survive being removed so this may involve installing all new baseboard) or simply running the carpet right up to the baseboard and not tucking. Its pretty tall baseboard so losing the bottom 1/2" of it or so isn't a factor at all. We're looking at installing a medium pile carpet (saxony)
This is a high-end home and I want it to look as such. I've heard different opinions from the two carpet installers. One says that an untucked carpet will be noticeable and will not look "high-end", and thus I should re-do the baseboard. The other says that I will not be able to notice an untucked carpet at all looks-wise, and the only possible difference would be in 5 or so years its possible that the carpet may need to be retacked if it starts to pull up.
Can anyone chime in with their opinion as to which is best. I'd rather not spend the money to re-do the baseboard if I'm not going to be able to see a difference.
Many thanks
On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 08:05:46 -0700, Actor123 wrote:

If you get it stretched right it should look good for a long time. I had a similar situation in my son's bedroom and so far after 4 years it's it's maintained it's looks.

How it will look will depend entirely on what kind of carpet it is.

I'd not remove the baseboard. Most that I've ever seen have not been.

[snip]
of the things that identifies a high-end home is that things are supposed to be done right, which means removing the baseboards, installing the carpet, then reinstalling the baseboards.
From another point of view, if you don't remove the baseboards they are going to get marked up during the carpet-laying, and you're going to have to repaint or touch up. Now you've got a can of paint and a paintbrush sitting on your new carpet, trying to paint the baseboards in situ, without spilling paint on the carpet or leaving marks on the wall. Better to do it right the first time -- remove the baseboards, lay the carpet, repaint the baseboards and reinstall them.

I don't know what your trim looks like, so this may be the worse idea in the world, but you may consider taking an undercut saw and removing the bottom 1/2" of your baseboard without removing it.

Anyone every try this? I've seen an undercut saw used for casings, of course, but never seen it used for an entire length of baseboard. I mean, some places in the house have a 24+ foot run of straight baseboard. Can an undercut saw cut evenly enough over that length a run? My fear is that I'd be trading one potential eyesore (untucked carpet) for another (uneven baseboard).
Kitep wrote:

tile, you fill any gaps with grout. Can't do that with carpet. If anything, add a quarter round after the carpet is down, but then you would have to match it to the baseboard.........
"Actor123" wrote

Find a new installer, you're dealing with a couple of bozos.
I know a guy which is a master installer, meaning he does inlays and all that fancy stuff you ever seen, along actual wool carpet that sells for over $300 a yard.
He installed my average carpet, and I questioned him about this. After he got up off the ground from laughing so hard, he told me not to worry.
He set the tack strips about a half inch from the baseboard, said carpet "must" be stretched 2" each way, then proceeded to stretch it with a power stretcher. My carpet has a pattern with lines, so if it wasn't stretched right, the lines would be wavy. After it was stretched, he cut it, then tucked between the carpet over the tack strips & baseboard. He then ran a hammer handle down over the tack strips to so no nails stuck through. The first room was done about 8 years ago, and still looks as good as when he did it. The following rooms were done as money would allow.
I consider myself lucky to know such a professional.
Good luck.

I need to understand this. On my stairs I have tackstrips that prick my toes when I walk up the steps barefoot. So I took a hammer and didn't just run it over the tack strips, I pounded everywhere I could feel a tack. But I think most of the problem remains.
My carpet is probably not expensive, but it still looks good on the stairs, except in the center of the stairs. It looks good where the tackstrips are.
How do I get to stop hurting me when I'm barefoot?
"mm" wrote

Not being an expert, I imagine it's possible they have the tack strips facing the wrong way on your stairs?
I watched the installer just run the handle along the strips. There way a "pop" or crunching noise as they laid down. He told me to try it, and I didn't get the sound. He said I was going too slow. At first I thought the nails were busting loose, but then felt foolish after I realized I was questioning his ability.

Smitty, I'm enrolling in Kung Fu on Monday. I'm going to teach those tacks a thing or two. I may buy a set of brass toes, also.

Hmm! .... That must be the sound of the tacks piercing the backing of the carpet. I can't think of anything else.
Mine are definitely through the backing and into my toes. :)
This doesn't happen often. I've learned -- learing is automatic -- not to put my feet so close to the riser when I'm barefoot.
Either there is more than one length of tacks, and he used one meant for thicker carpets, or my carpet is reallllly thin (and cheap).
I'm very curious, but I'm not going to replace the tack strips even if that would fix it. I'll never get it back together right.
It's not as bad as it was, I think, before I hit them with the hammer the first time. I think I'll go over them with a hammer again, and maybe swing harder. I was afraid if I broke the tacks the carpet would come up.

Actor123 wrote:

baseboards undercut when tile was installed so that it would look original, rather than have grout slathered around the bottom of the trim and baseboards. I have never seen carpet under a baseboard, though. Our tile contractor had an employee or sub- who does only the undercutting. It was freshly painted when it was done, and not a scratch or ding. Only thing that tile guys did that bothered me was leave a couple of dirty handprints on the wall, but they came off :o)
Interesting... when we put our travertine down, we pulled the baseboards and replaced them.
Unfortunately we did not know about the power trimmer for the door frame moldings until we were 90% done and we used a manual one... what a mess. Sometime next year we will likely replace some of the door trim too because AS CAREFUL AS WE WERE...... they just did not come out even.
The Trave looks great though!
Kate O|||||||O