Carpet in the kitchen....

I am renting a home that has carpet in the kitchen for some odd reason. I was wondering if there is something I can place over the carpet other than just a rug that will protect this area. Maybe some sort of hard plastic mat, I am not sure what would work. The area in question is about 8'x6'. Thanks.
I had kitchen carpet many moons ago. Was a real PITA to keep clean. Try a dog, cat, and 3 kids...
How about one of those plastic things you put under an office chair (clear) to keep from trashing the carpet? The flexible kinds comes in long strips/rolls as well.
Check your local "big box" store, or an office supply house.
On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 15:23:52 -0700, professorpaul

Or I think a carpet store for the runners. Two widths would cover the whole thing.
Your might try a flooring store to see if they have any linoleum remnants. Or buy a piece at home depot.
On Jul 25, 5:03 pm, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

On Jul 25, 2:03 pm, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Yep, carpet in a kitchen has to be the stupidest thing going. We had an apartment with it. Disposal blew up and pumped garbage all over the floor. We walked "squish" for 2 weeks.
Harry K

I agree. Just seems plain lazy to install this. But, like I said, it's a rental. It looks like a indoor/outdoor berber type, but I am not sure.
On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 15:26:46 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I used to know an indoor/outdoor Berber. His mother wouldn't let him go outside as a child, but he rebelled when he was 12.
mm wrote:

Yeah, isn't he the guy who did Silky Pony's $400 'do?
--
"Liberals used to be the ones who argued that sending U.S. troops abroad
was a small price to pay to stop genocide; now they argue that genocide
On Jul 25, 5:03 pm, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I have seen this. Not sure how well it will hold up. Maybe I will check out the plastic runners with the 'spikes' on the bottom.