Carpet cleaning

I try to keep my carpets clean, and do everything possible to prevent them from getting dirty. We don't wear shoes in the house. We don't eat in the living room. I make my teenage son & his friends drink from sippy cups (although, this seemed to thin the herd down a bit, and my son got called a sissy & beat up over it). If someone has dirty clothes, I have them leave them at the door. I'm at my wits end with this carpet.
What is the best way to clean carpet? Do those little steam cleaners do any good, or is it a waste of money?
On 10/26/2013 06:34 PM, Sherry Goodman wrote:

It's not April 1st yet
--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS85KjUsEm0&feature=youtu.be

On 10/26/2013 7:34 PM, Sherry Goodman wrote:

How about dealing with your parenting before you worry about your carpets.....
--
For email reply remove MYHAT

On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 19:34:33 -0400, "Sherry Goodman"

Carpets are cheap and easy to replace. Teenagers, not so much.

I generally rent a carpet cleaner but if that's too much for you, hire a professional or replace them every few years.
Sherry Goodman wrote:

They do good.
On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 20:49:42 -0400, Brother Harry

Vinyl? Gack! *Anything* but vinyl.
On 10/26/13 6:34 PM, Sherry Goodman wrote:

(bit cut)
Including the workmen who come to your house? Isn't this http://tinyurl.com/nphw8j8 enough?

On 10/26/2013 7:34 PM, Sherry Goodman wrote:

You need to cut the carpets into one foot squares. Wash them at the laundromat, in the washing machines. Warm wash, cold rinse. Dry on nylon setting.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Number the backs with a permanent marker so you can put them back in the same location.
On the other hand, if they are cut very carefully to the exact same size, you could mix them up and create interesting designs from the wear patterns, fading, etc.
On 10/27/2013 9:36 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Much like rotating tires on the car, the carpet will last much longer.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 10/26/2013 7:34 PM, Sherry Goodman wrote:

I own a Hoover MaxExtract 77 carpet cleaner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoF2zQCf_8w

It is simply the best damn carpet cleaner I have ever used (and I've used a lot of them). It's much better than the ones that you rent from the supermarkets. It also does the best job drying the carpet after cleaning that I've ever seen. The carpet is dry within an hour or so.
The MaxExtract is a bit expensive. But if your carpets get dirty frequently, then this unit will pay for itself quickly.
--
Steven L.

On 10/26/2013 6:34 PM, Sherry Goodman wrote:

The best model to ask for is a Cleveland Steamer. If you visit your local hardware store, the guys there will be happy to get you set up.