Carpet cleaning

I try to keep my carpets clean, and do everything possible to prevent them from getting dirty. We don't wear shoes in the house. We don't eat in the living room. I make my teenage son & his friends drink from sippy cups (although, this seemed to thin the herd down a bit, and my son got called a sissy & beat up over it). If someone has dirty clothes, I have them leave them at the door. I'm at my wits end with this carpet.

What is the best way to clean carpet? Do those little steam cleaners do any good, or is it a waste of money?

Reply to
Sherry Goodman

It's not April 1st yet

Reply to
philo

How about dealing with your parenting before you worry about your carpets.....

Reply to
Bob S

Carpets are cheap and easy to replace. Teenagers, not so much.

I generally rent a carpet cleaner but if that's too much for you, hire a professional or replace them every few years.

Reply to
krw

They do good.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Vinyl? Gack! *Anything* but vinyl.

Reply to
krw

(bit cut)

Including the workmen who come to your house? Isn't this

enough?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

You need to cut the carpets into one foot squares. Wash them at the laundromat, in the washing machines. Warm wash, cold rinse. Dry on nylon setting.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Number the backs with a permanent marker so you can put them back in the same location.

On the other hand, if they are cut very carefully to the exact same size, you could mix them up and create interesting designs from the wear patterns, fading, etc.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Much like rotating tires on the car, the carpet will last much longer.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I own a Hoover MaxExtract 77 carpet cleaner.

It is simply the best damn carpet cleaner I have ever used (and I've used a lot of them). It's much better than the ones that you rent from the supermarkets. It also does the best job drying the carpet after cleaning that I've ever seen. The carpet is dry within an hour or so.

The MaxExtract is a bit expensive. But if your carpets get dirty frequently, then this unit will pay for itself quickly.

Reply to
Steven L.

The best model to ask for is a Cleveland Steamer. If you visit your local hardware store, the guys there will be happy to get you set up.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan