Carpenter bees

They are coming to my backyard and drill holes in the wood of my home.

Does anybody know how to get rid of them?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Reply to
ChrisTucker2008

They're tough little buggers. You can give one a big swat with a broom and knock them 20 feet and they'll bounce off of the wall and fly away. This site gives the standard procedure:

RicodJour

Prime and paint. They love the smell of fresh wood. Tennis rackets are better than a ball cap, for swatting.

Reply to
Oren

Oren wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

They're going after the wood my eaves are made of. Tongue and groove that's varnished. The big ones you see circling around are the guards. They fly around you and watch to see what you're doing. I don't believe they have the capability to sting. The rest of them are inside making the damage. We usually patch the holes they make and they decide after a while to leave.

Reply to
Lisa BB.

Wait until they go in the holes. then a couple of good squirts of any cheap latex caulk should do the trick.

Reply to
Sac Dave

Oren wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

With enough wrist action, can probably dice 'em huh?

Reply to
Red Green

Spray into the hole and plug it up. The holes need to be plugged or the bee will make the holes deeper.

Reply to
Phisherman

I like that! I have to dig out that old badminton racquet - good reach, low mass, high velocity and I can make carpenter bee puree.

RicodJour

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:7fbac468-0205-4246-b151- snipped-for-privacy@z72g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

I've only found two holes this spring, one in the shed and one in an old railing. To only that extent, I just leave them. I just go about my business, often within inches, and they act like I wasn't even there. I work around them and they seem to do the same. The old lady works her ass off all day and the old man just hangs around watching me.

Reply to
Red Green

??? You must have woosie bees. Mine just make a new hole to get out or push the caulk out of the old one.

Reply to
<h>

Here&#39;s a link with some info:

Reply to
nnnnnnnnn

Moth balls in the holes, then plastic wood or caulk or whatever to finish filling the holes. A whole mothball won&#39;t fit so just use a putty knife to squeeze in whatever does.

Reply to
mm

Only with a ginzu knife and only if you can get the guy on tv to use if for you.

Reply to
mm

Hope the plumber bees go on strike. The carpenters won&#39;t cross the picket line.

Reply to
Bill

He&#39;s serious, those things are a pain in the ass. I&#39;m having problems with them too. Tony

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

on 6/9/2008 7:59 PM Sac Dave said the following:

Sealing them in does no good. They can eat their way out as well as eat their way in. The best thing to stop them is to cover your exposed wood with aluminum or vinyl sheathing. I found that placing 3/4" vinyl J channel under the facia trim keeps them out.

Reply to
willshak

willshak wrote in news:ktOdnWIK_sMKcdPVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

Sidenote: If you&#39;re simply walking around they watch you. But as soon as you aim a spray at them, they quickly fly away so fast you hardly see them go.

Reply to
FlavorFlav

"Anthony Diodati" wrote in news:VTB3k.2899 $8q2.1633@trnddc02:

Only the females! Only the females!! Males are just onlookers.

If the damn lazy-ass male would just pick up a drill and make a 3/8 hole he wouldn&#39;t have to wait so long for the action>

Reply to
Red Green