Carpenter bees

They are coming to my backyard and drill holes in the wood of my home.
Does anybody know how to get rid of them?
Thanks in advance.
Chris
On Jun 9, 3:13 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

They're tough little buggers. You can give one a big swat with a broom and knock them 20 feet and they'll bounce off of the wall and fly away. This site gives the standard procedure: http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef611.asp
On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 12:16:33 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour

Prime and paint. They love the smell of fresh wood. Tennis rackets are better than a ball cap, for swatting.

They're going after the wood my eaves are made of. Tongue and groove that's varnished. The big ones you see circling around are the guards. They fly around you and watch to see what you're doing. I don't believe they have the capability to sting. The rest of them are inside making the damage. We usually patch the holes they make and they decide after a while to leave.

With enough wrist action, can probably dice 'em huh?

Only with a ginzu knife and only if you can get the guy on tv to use if for you.

I like that! I have to dig out that old badminton racquet - good reach, low mass, high velocity and I can make carpenter bee puree.

Wait until they go in the holes. then a couple of good squirts of any cheap latex caulk should do the trick.

??? You must have woosie bees. Mine just make a new hole to get out or push the caulk out of the old one.
on 6/9/2008 7:59 PM Sac Dave said the following:

Sealing them in does no good. They can eat their way out as well as eat their way in. The best thing to stop them is to cover your exposed wood with aluminum or vinyl sheathing. I found that placing 3/4" vinyl J channel under the facia trim keeps them out.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Sidenote: If you're simply walking around they watch you. But as soon as you aim a spray at them, they quickly fly away so fast you hardly see them go.
On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 12:13:34 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Spray into the hole and plug it up. The holes need to be plugged or the bee will make the holes deeper.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

I've only found two holes this spring, one in the shed and one in an old railing. To only that extent, I just leave them. I just go about my business, often within inches, and they act like I wasn't even there. I work around them and they seem to do the same. The old lady works her ass off all day and the old man just hangs around watching me.
Here's a link with some info:
http://unexco.com/carpbees.html

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 12:13:34 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Moth balls in the holes, then plastic wood or caulk or whatever to finish filling the holes. A whole mothball won't fit so just use a putty knife to squeeze in whatever does.
On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 12:13:34 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Hope the plumber bees go on strike. The carpenters won't cross the picket line.

He's serious, those things are a pain in the ass. I'm having problems with them too. Tony

Only the females! Only the females!! Males are just onlookers.
If the damn lazy-ass male would just pick up a drill and make a 3/8 hole he wouldn't have to wait so long for the action>