Hi I have a Problem with Wood bees/Carpenter Bees, which is my reason
Do you of you have the same problem? and if so How have you got rid of
your Wood bees?
I will be checking back later to see if any of you have ideas for me to
get rid of my Pesty problem!
First determine if they are nesting in the structure or just a large
tree. If they are in the tree, do nothing. The aggressive bees flying
about the yard will be the males but they have no stinger. If they are
nesting in the structure, at night getting any type of insecticide into
the chamber, be it liquid, aerosol or dust will kill them.
Paint/re-paint or varnish exposed wood that they will like to nest in.
Most college departments of entomology can find
someone to identify exactly the species of your
problem bees. This info may be helpful if you
plan to remove them yourself.
Some college departments have wild bee specialists
who might be interested in removing the nest
for their own research.
Optionally you can take a tennis raquet and bat the hovering ones out
of the air. Then use regular wasp/bee spray on the areas of wood they
they are interested in. Keeping old wood maintained and painted will
discourage them in the long run.
Hopefully they don't remove your facia boards or fences for this
On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 15:49:41 -0500, firstname.lastname@example.org (Stephanie S.
Carpenter bees attack my cedar soffit boards. They seem to like
horizontal boards better than vertical. They are easy to recognize by
the perfectly round 3/8" or so diameter holes they make.
The most effective treatment is to dust the holes with a powdered
insecticide labeled for carpenter bees, like Drione. The bees carry
the dust deep into the burrows where it kills all the bees. After a
few days, plug the holes and then paint. Supposedly a good coat or two
of paint will deter them, but I've not found it completely effective;
they love that cedar.
Here is a place that sells a complete treatment kit; there are many
I plan to replace the soffit boards with PVC, painted to match the
siding. That should be a long term solution.
A bit pricey when a $5 can of raid can give the same results....ok,
never buy raid so don't know how much it actually costs....
On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 09:29:27 -0500, email@example.com (Stephanie S.
This is what I did, so just sharing my experiences, not a how-to:
* Found the holes and plugged them up. Didn't work, since they would
drill new holes. My deck was becoming swiss chees.
* Then I heard they rather use 'old' holes than redrill so I changed
my attack. I filled the existing holes, sometimes occupied, with
carpenter ant/bee powder. Then watched. The females would come out,
dust covered and try to flee. The the males would jump on here and
become poisoned and fall to the ground. Soon another female would
check out the hole, become poisoned and fly away. Get rid of the
females, then you have no hovering males.
Not a fan of poisons, but my son, then 4 years old, was attacked. A
male went into a head butting session on him, and he refused to go out
for a while.
Tom @ www.FreelancingProjects.com
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.