Carbon Monoxide Detector

Page 1 of 2

Been thinking to buy myself one for Christmas. What's a reliable brand and type and model of carbon monoxide detector?
I'd like a battery model, I can change batteries. But, electric outlets are not to be found. All used up with lamps, and such.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Dunno, but try calling your local fire station and see what brand or model they recommend. Locally here, the firemen help the elderly folks and will even do the install.
I'm not qualified for senior discount. When they see my van full of tools, they will probably make me do my own install. I'm OK with that. But, asking the FD is a good idea.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Whatever you do, get the digital. The squealing types go off when the CO is high enough to reach threshold levels. Say it's 400 ppm. What if it's 390? Wouldn't you want to know that there was some sort of a problem, and that you were approaching critical mass? They have memory. What if the thing goes off while you are not at home, but the levels return to safe before you get back, and the squealer isn't squealing? You will have no indication of the incident. Spend some bucks and get a good one. Digital. You are betting your life and others on it.
Steve
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Consumer Reports says > First Alert OneLink SCO501CN It's a combination unit for smoke and CO. It can be interconnected with others. Stand alone battery model: First Alert CO410
I've got smoke detector, already. Which reminds me of a funny (to me) story.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

How about an Acme made in China.

I'll check my local Wyle E Coyote retail outlet. Might be able to get one that will drop me off a cliff, Beep-Beep!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Macurco are the ones that I'm used to seeing in commercial installations. They're probably spendy for use in a private home however. CM-15A I believe is the part number of the ones I commonly see (e.g. in hotel rooms with gas fireplaces etc.) I believe those only accept 24V power though (they're designed to be used with fire alarm systems)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Check Goldcrest Electronics, corner (sorta) of Goodman & Clinton:
http://www.goldcrestelectronics.com /
I've called them about various things over the past 2-3 years and they never answer their phone or return calls. So, I go over there and they always have what I'm looking for.
Thanks, might do that. Parking is sure to be a nightmare. I drive past there often enough. In the early eighties when CB radio was the craze, friends of mine bought parts there. And Masline Electronics, on South Clinton.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 19:32:39 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Perhaps try to get one that takes a 9V. Ours started chirping the other day, which is probably a low battery indication, but turns out it uses two 3V batteries inside. Do I have any of those on standby? No chance... can't think of a single other thing in the house that uses 'em.
Ouch. One more role specific battery to buy. Lets see. I use AAA, and AA in flash lights. CR123 in camera and a couple flash lights. 9V in smoke detectors. C, D, and square lantern in flash lights, and radio that takes D cells. Specific battey for cell phone. More AA for digicam. And then a specific 3 volt cell for the monoxide detector. That's rough.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I think most CO units either operate off of 120V AC or off a 9V battery, It is easy enuf to tell when buying. The Fire Dept is a great idea. I would like to get our local FD to provide testing for CO detectors the way that they do for smoke/fire alarms. But I don't know if you can buy a can of CO to use. Maybe just putting the unit near the exhaust of a car parked outside would work. I have one detector that is so sensitive that I wish it weren't. It kicks off if I open the fireplace doors with the damper partly closed for more than a few minutes. As long as the damper is open fairly wide, there is no problem. But, it is much safer that way so I guess I should be happy.
On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 19:22:15 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

I had a little foil envelope of CO once. Got it second hand somewhere but it wasn't open, of course. I think I saved it for when the detector wasn't brand new and now I don't know where it is.

I think mine is first alert and I called and asked about putting it real close to the oil furnace, for the sake of testing it, and she said not to do that, that it would overload and damage the detector thingy inside.
But calling one of the company's that make them would give more recent advice, since technology changes. Please report back here. :)

I think most CO units either operate off of 120V AC or off a 9V battery, It is easy enuf to tell when buying. The Fire Dept is a great idea. I would like to get our local FD to provide testing for CO detectors the way that they do for smoke/fire alarms. But I don't know if you can buy a can of CO to use. Maybe just putting the unit near the exhaust of a car parked outside would work. I have one detector that is so sensitive that I wish it weren't. It kicks off if I open the fireplace doors with the damper partly closed for more than a few minutes. As long as the damper is open fairly wide, there is no problem. But, it is much safer that way so I guess I should be happy.
Reply: a lower than lethal dose may make you sleepy, or just put you into a sleep, and if the level rose after that, you'd be front page material. I, too, like the sensitive ones that give a constant readout.
Steve
On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 14:23:23 -0800, "Steve B"

There's a stage with CO when you have headaches. I almost never get headaches so that would be a red flag. Those who get headaches anyhow, I guess they should go outside or drive to a store and see if the headache goes away. I wonder how long it would take to go away.
Monoxide has a LONG half life in the blood. I can't remember off hand, but it's more time than a trip to the store. Day, or two days, or something extended like that.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus