Can you help me interpret this spectrum analysis noise plot?

Page 1 of 4
Can you help me interpret this 2.4GHz WiFi spectrum analysis noise plot that I just ran from my Ubiquiti Rocket M2 rooftop antenna?
I'm trying to debug why I have -88dBm of noise at my rooftop radio.
My Rocket M2 rooftop radio is on channel 10. My home broadband router inside the house is on channel 1.
Here is the "waterfall" plot:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7299/11427414296_de48f3922e_o.jpg
Here is the "channel" plot:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7310/11427413806_21e93b109b_o.jpg
Here's a site survey:
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5484/11427682854_0332590c4f_o.png
And, here's a view of the rooftop radio signal to noise strength:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7380/11427771814_de0692ea50_o.png
Any observations with respect to the source of the -88dB noise? (I don't really know how to interpret this stuff.)

Rumors of my demise might be a bit premature. I'm buried in projects, work, Christmas Chrisis', ladyfriend, and trying to untrash my house, office, and vehicle. Incidentally, this is what I've been doing for "fun". <http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/antennas/dish-move-project/
On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 19:32:34 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Hi Jeff,
Ooooh. Yours is bigger than mine!
That looks like a neat project.
Well, I'm here in the Santa Cruz mountains, just trying to figure out what my noise plot is trying to tell me (I'm on channel 10):
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7299/11427414296_de48f3922e_o.jpg

Lady friend means untrash house. You should have thought about this :-).
--
<Bill>

Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska.

Nope. It was my idea. I spent my first 50 years or so accumulating all this junk. I'll probably spend another 50 years or so getting rid of it. Do I really need 5 bicycles? I'm making weekly runs to the recyclers, thrift shop, or municipal dump to get rid of the stuff. (I really miss my pickup truck). At my present rate, I should have the house and office cleaned up in about 50 years.
my friend just retired and moved from a huge custom house in the cold, snowy, Chicago area down to the middle of FL - sitting out on the lanai....
He coined the term ---> de-crapification
Just prior to his leaving, we had our little college ski group lunch gathering (4 guys) with him presenting us each with a token from our past as part of his de-crapification. Some were FORTRAN puch cards, from our CS days, some were check/receipts from our skiiing in Austria, some were photos from frat parties - with fuzzy hair and long sideburns.
On 12/18/2013 5:14 PM, ps56k wrote:

When I was in college you could spot a nerd because he had a pocket protector and a rectangular box of punch cards under one arm. Pocket calculators came out later, cost around $400.00 and had nerds drooling over them. I was out of college when I saw my first HP calculator but I still had boxes of punch cards. ^_^
TDD
On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 22:59:04 -0600, The Daring Dufas

Yeah, that was the theory but it didn't quite work at Cal Poly Pomona in the late 1960's. Among other divisions, Cal Poly had an engineering skool and an ABM (agricultural business management) skool. One would assume that the engineering students carried slide rules and punched cards, and the ABM students looked like TV cowboys. Nope. The engineering students wanted to look like cowboys and wore boots, jeans, flannel, but not the hat. The ABM students wore suits, ties, hats, and carried briefcases. There was also a skool of environmental design, which true to the stereotype, everyone looked like hippies. I tried to make sense of it at the time, and gave up.
Incidentally, it took me about 10 years to work my way through all the punched card decks I had accumulated and used mostly as scratch paper. I didn't make the same mistake with paper tape, which I converted to floppy and burned the tapes.
My first calculator was an analog computer that I built into a brief case. There were several 10 turn pots to input the numbers, and a big mirrored meter to read the output. Basically, an electronic implementation of a slide rule. <https://groups.google.com/forum /#!original/scruz.general/Egv8cT2-JGY/SNVk9zi1ULQJ>
When I graduated from college, I could throw everything I owned into my pickup truck and drive off into the sunset (and actually did that a few times). If I tried that today, it would take at least two large moving vans and a project manager.
He who dies with the most toys, wins.
I'm still wondering what problem you are trying to solve. Is your WiFi not working properly or are you just concerned about reading -88 dBm noise level on the analyzer? I wouldn't be surprised to read -88 dBm from a high gain antenna. Do you think that is abnormal or is there some other problem?
Mark
On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 09:17:43 -0800, makolber wrote:

Hi Mark,
I'm trying to make the numbers add up, and, if I can lower noise, then I can raise signal strength correspondingly. That gives me a better signal-to-noise ratio, which is ultimately what I'm after.
Each time I've improved on my noise figure, my corresponding quality figures go up as shown below:
Here are my signal quality figures that aren't too good:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7419/11378789605_1226611246_o.jpg
Here are better quality figures from that same WiFi router:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7380/11427771814_de0692ea50_o.png
So, what I'm trying to do, ultimately, is increase Internet speeds (here are my current speeds):
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3743/11399640063_f0187217bd_o.png
My speeds were half that, with a lesser antenna (NanoBridge M2), so, everything I do to signal quality improves Internet speeds.
In short, I simply want faster Internet (doesn't everyone?).
On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 18:21:09 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

I should clarify that those of you who are on DSL or cable won't have any way (that I know of) to increase your signal quality ...
But, since there is no cable or DSL service to my neighborhood, all of us get our Internet from the airwaves.
Given that, we do have a direct one-to-one relationship between the quality of our signal and the speed of our Internet.
What I can do, at home, to improve *my* Internet speeds are: a) Increase my antenna gain (this is usually the best way) b) Decrease my noise (this is usually the second best way) c) Increase my transmitter power (this works only to a point) d) Increase my receiver sensitivity (again, works only to a point) e) Decrease my channel bandwidth (mine is set at 20MHz now)
I increased my antenna gain by replacing the Nanobridge M2 with the more powerful (and directional) Rocket M2, so, now I'm working on the noise level.
Also decrease the feed line loss... Is the radio mounted up at the antenna? Mark
On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 19:24:55 -0800, makolber wrote:

Hi Mark,
Here is a picture of the mount when I had installed it:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3688/11474128726_aa955239ba_o.jpg
The radio itself is the classic Ubiquiti Rocket M2:
http://store.netgate.com/Assets/ProductImages/ROCKETM2%20US.jpg
That radio is clipped directly onto the back of the dish:
http://www.ubntstore.eu/images/detailed/0/tmp_FEWrpH.jpg
One mistake I made was to use non-shielded cable, so, there's about 75 feet of the plenum stuff outside going from the roof to the first floor office where the router and POE lie.
From a practical (noise) standpoint, how much do you think that matters?
Danny D. wrote:

Hi, B4 you ask that question think about shield? Why do you think we use shielded cable in AF or RF cabling(wiring) CAT 7 spec. ethernet cable is best one. I believe your noise is radio related unlikely Ethernet cable related. Looks like your radio is repeater? All in all if you have reliable connection, what's the worry? One way of increasing signal strength will be using a bigger dish or did you picked best height of the antenna. The higher the better is a myth. Is it LOS install.?
Way back when I was working on microwave, troposcatter links biggest one was troposcatter link shooting from Nha Trang, S, Vietnam over to Thailand. Triple diversity, antenna was 120 ft. square parabolic pair. Nitrogen gas filled wave guides were used. No coax. SWR was around 1.2. One night VC rocket sharpnels made some holes in wave guides plumbing, SWR went upto about 1.4
Tri diversity is based on antenna spacing, frequency, polarization. RX was parametric cavity tuned preamp, and all tube based RX, TX was 10W TWT exciter to 10KW water cooled Klystron driving 100KW bigger Klystron also with water cooled. HV on them were around 27KV DC.
This all became obsolete soon when RCA launched first Commsat. That was end of my career in RF telecomm. going into Digital Data comm, main frames, etc. Worked on autovon/autodin, Arpanet(origin of Internet). Now I am no good any more, things changing too fast to grasp all.
On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 21:54:28 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

I think the shielding shorts out EMI/RFI interference; but, if that interference is, say 60Hz, it won't be the cause of my noise.
My noise is at 2.4GHz.
So, I *think* the shielding isn't really shielding against *my* noise. But it could shield against 60Hz noise (which I'm not measuring).
That's what I think - but I don't really know the answer...
On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 21:54:28 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi Tony,
The radio is not set up as a repeater. It's set up as a router:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7380/11427771814_de0692ea50_o.png
As you noted, I do have a reliable connection to the 2.4GHz WiFi access point about 3 miles away, but, since my service is unthrottled, the lower I can get noise, the faster I can get the speeds!
For example, here are side-by-side screenshots of the Rocket M2 speeds versus the Nanobridge M2 speeds the day I switched them out:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7448/11475595375_740ac269e1_o.png
Notice, with *nothing* changed other than the dish & radio, on the smaller Nanobridge, I got 78Mbps but on the larger Rocket, I got 117Mbps.
I don't really want to go *bigger* than the Rocketdish, so, that's why I'm asking how to lower the noise.
Note: I see the noise on the Nanobridge was -97dBm, and that of the Rocket is -89dBm, so, it's interesting that the Rocket is noiser than the Nanobridge, considering the beamwidth of the Rocket is far narrower (but the gain is far higher).
Danny D'Amico wrote:

Hi, What is operating power of the two radios and what is the sensitivity of two RX? They are built on same design specs? Is it real LOS install or radio horizon install?
On Sat, 21 Dec 2013 00:58:27 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi Tony,
The access point is a bit more than 3 miles away, line of sight.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7448/11475595375_740ac269e1_o.png
NANOBRIDGE M2: Measured signal strength = -68 dBm Measured noise floor = -97 dBm Measured speed = 78 Mbps / 52 Mbps (i.e., 2-channel MIMO) Claimed transmit power = 23 dBm (max) Claimed antenna gain = 18 dBi Calculated EIRP = 41 dBm (12 Watts) Claimed sensitivity = -93 dBm (max) SPEC: http://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/nanobridgem/nbm_ds_web.pdf
ROCKET M2 + ROCKETDISH 2G-24: Measured signal strength = -64 dBm Measured noise floor = -89 dBm Measured speed = 117 Mbps / 117 Mbps (i.e., 2-channel MIMO) Claimed transmit power = 28 dBm (max) Claimed antenna gain = 24 dBi Calculated EIRP = 52 dBm (158 Watts) Claimed sensitivity = -95dBm (max) SPEC: https://www.discomp.cz/img.asp?attid 929
On Sat, 21 Dec 2013 07:29:25 +0000, Danny D'Amico wrote:

I should explain that, while I can *fit* a bigger unit on my roof, the RocketDish is already 24dBi and the Rocket M2 radio is already 28dBm, so, the maximum (claimed) gain is 52 dBi (158 Watts), while the maximum legal gain is 36dBm (4 Watts), so, the Rocket is already throttling itself automatically just to keep within legal limits.
So I don't think a bigger dish is really the solution.
The solution is to figure out how to lower the noise...and, the RF Armor seems to be the best answer (albeit pricey).