Can you derive a 110 volt outlet from a 4 wire 220 volt in the US?

Page 2 of 2
They don't sell them at The Home Depot in the US. Thanks for the suggestion though.
In alt.home.repair on Sun, 20 Jul 2003 17:05:52 GMT "D. Stoner"

Isn't Home Depot the one with the horrible website.
I put in water faucets and it gave a list of categories. One was single handle so I clicked on that. It said there were none at the store near me. Then wanted to know another zipcode so that it could look at another store. I actually knew a zipcode near another store, and again it said not sold at that store. It wanted another zipcode. I don't know anymore zipcodes. Just give me the next closest store.
Or don't break it up by store in the first place. Show me everything you sell and if it is worth it, I'll drive 20 miles to buy it.
It turns out both stores, all stores, sell single handled kitchen faucets, of course.

That photo didn't look like a USA 220 outlet to me. I think we have two too, but teh one in the picture looks like a standard 110volt ac plug.
Meirman
If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter.
I know Lowes has that, got to have the zip code, thing. I hate it. It would not be so bad if I could put in a code for any store in my city where there are half a dozen of them, but no I have to check them one by one and I have to know their zip codes to do it.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

With reference to http://www.leviton.com/sections/techsupp/nema.htm , it would appear that in both Canada and the U.S. ranges are now wired using NEMA 14-50R receptacles. The adapter, with a NEMA 14-50P plug, works with it. Seems to me the adapter should work in both countries. I think the reason the picture looks like a 110volt ac plug is because it doesn't have a size reference (much larger than a 110v plug), and the "Y" prong is hidden behind the cardboard packaging. What you're seeing in the picture at http://www.applianceaid.com/adaptor.html are the "G", "X", and "W" prongs.
On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 17:57:21 GMT, "D. Stoner"

Actually, in that device, the Y prong is not present, whatsoever (it is not needed, for any reason).

Interesting. I know the "Y" prong is not needed for any reason, other than to make the plug look standard, but the unit I held in my hand at the store yesterday which was identical the the one in the pic had 4 prongs, as does the one I bought and connected to my own stove years ago. I guess yours isn't the same as mine.
In alt.home.repair on Mon, 21 Jul 2003 20:39:32 -0400 Gary Tait

Maybe. I couldn't tell.

That too. LOL
Meirman
If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter.
In alt.home.repair on Mon, 21 Jul 2003 11:49:56 -0400 Gary Tait

So if I ever need a new dryer, I have to buy a new receptacle or save the cord from the old dryer and use that.
Thanks.
Meirman
If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter.
In alt.home.repair on Tue, 22 Jul 2003 11:20:05 -0400 Gary Tait

Thanks again. I'm not running new cable and I doubt there are 4 wires there already.

Meirman
If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter.
Gary -
My range does have a NEMA 14-50 outlet. This is the first house that I've ever lived in with an outlet like this. That's probably because the house is newly constructed and complies with the new rules.
You're also right on with the dryer. I had to go and buy a dryer cable that had the L shaped prong on the bottom.
Thanks!
Steven
I just got my adapter from the Portland Oregon branch of Canada-based Reliable Parts. The adapter worked like a charm! I just don't understand why these adapters aren't more readily available in the US.
If anyone needs one, you can order for delivery in Canada or the US through www.reliableparts.com . They're wonderful!
Whoo hoo!
Thank you Reliable Parts!
Thank you Canada!