Can you derive a 110 volt outlet from a 4 wire 220 volt in the US?

I know Lowes has that, got to have the zip code, thing. I hate it. It would not be so bad if I could put in a code for any store in my city where there are half a dozen of them, but no I have to check them one by one and I have to know their zip codes to do it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

snipped-for-privacy@stevenkingsley.com (Steven Kingsley) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

The plug is as you describe - 1 vertical prong at the top, 2 side by side at the center, and a round ground prong at the bottom. The receptacle for the 110v plug is a standard 3 prong plug.

Reply to
D. Stoner

You may refer to a NEMA chart of plug and receptical configurations at

.

Note that the sizes are not consistent, nor are they indicated. For instance, the overall diameter of an 18-20R is much greater than that of a

5-20R.

-- Jack Gavin

Reply to
Jack Gavin

Gary Tait wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

With reference to

, it would appear that in both Canada and the U.S. ranges are now wired using NEMA 14-50R receptacles. The adapter, with a NEMA 14-50P plug, works with it. Seems to me the adapter should work in both countries. I think the reason the picture looks like a 110volt ac plug is because it doesn't have a size reference (much larger than a 110v plug), and the "Y" prong is hidden behind the cardboard packaging. What you're seeing in the picture at
are the "G", "X", and "W" prongs.

Reply to
D. Stoner

Actually, in that device, the Y prong is not present, whatsoever (it is not needed, for any reason).

Reply to
Gary Tait

Gary Tait wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Interesting. I know the "Y" prong is not needed for any reason, other than to make the plug look standard, but the unit I held in my hand at the store yesterday which was identical the the one in the pic had 4 prongs, as does the one I bought and connected to my own stove years ago. I guess yours isn't the same as mine.

Reply to
D. Stoner

In alt.home.repair on Mon, 21 Jul 2003 11:49:56 -0400 Gary Tait posted:

So if I ever need a new dryer, I have to buy a new receptacle or save the cord from the old dryer and use that.

Thanks.

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter.

meirman

In alt.home.repair on Mon, 21 Jul 2003 20:39:32 -0400 Gary Tait posted:

Maybe. I couldn't tell.

That too. LOL

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter.

meirman

In alt.home.repair on Tue, 22 Jul 2003 11:20:05 -0400 Gary Tait posted:

Thanks again. I'm not running new cable and I doubt there are 4 wires there already.

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter.

meirman

Gary -

My range does have a NEMA 14-50 outlet. This is the first house that I've ever lived in with an outlet like this. That's probably because the house is newly constructed and complies with the new rules.

You're also right on with the dryer. I had to go and buy a dryer cable that had the L shaped prong on the bottom.

Thanks!

Steven

Reply to
Steven Kingsley

I just got my adapter from the Portland Oregon branch of Canada-based Reliable Parts. The adapter worked like a charm! I just don't understand why these adapters aren't more readily available in the US.

If anyone needs one, you can order for delivery in Canada or the US through

. They're wonderful!

Whoo hoo!

Thank you Reliable Parts!

Thank you Canada!