Cable connection for broadband & phone

Page 3 of 3
On 12/09/2014 06:13 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[snip]

True, wired is normally superior. I get tired of people who seem to consider WiFi the ONLY way to connect computers.
--
16 days until the winter celebration (Thursday December 25, 2014
12:00:00 AM for 1 day).
On 12/9/2014 7:13 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Thought I'd toss in that a few years ago a client whose computer I use for their business insisted on an ether net connection. I had a temporary room to room strung cable that must have cost at least $25. Stringing in walls and attic would have been extremely difficult for this old man so I hired isp, Comcast, to do it and billed the client. Took the Comcast tech an hour and he did an excellent job and cost was only $20 and that included the cost of the cable.

Agreed. I have about 250' of cable between my modem and the pole with no issues.
However, every connection can potentially degrade your signal. So try to minimize connections and splits as much as possible.
'Mark Lloyd[_11_ Wrote: > ;3319245']

In that "word" WiFi, I know the Wi stands for wireless, but what does the Fi stand for? The only thing I can think of is Fidelity, as in HiFi, but I kinda doubt that's what it means in WiFi as well.
Does anyone know?
--
nestork

On Tuesday, December 9, 2014 1:17:11 PM UTC-5, nestork wrote:

Wiki is your friend:
"The name is a trademark name, and is a play on the audiophile term Hi-Fi. The Wi-Fi Alliance defines Wi-Fi as any "wireless local area network (WLAN) products that are based on the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Eng ineers' (IEEE) 802.11 standards".[1] "

bring up

OP

at

consideration is

doesn't

floor

floor at

better.

the

easy to

However, the

wireless access

I get

ethernet

splitter that

In

anywhere with

cable as

an access

network

from the outside interconnection box to the computer. Would I get a faster connection if the modem is located near the outside box or near the computer?

the

different cable. From the modem to PC it would be Ethernet cable, unless he opts for USB,

modem and PC,

include

wireless router

of

is best

the router,

That's good to hear, Frank. All the Verizon techs who come here in a parade for the last 2-3 weeks have been top notch. No complaints about them or their work. But they can't do anything about the companies priorities when it comes to replacing old cables.
So anyway.... I added a phone to the TWC order. I can't get any technical info out of the phone folks about splitting it at the outside box. Just have to wait and talk to the installer - I don' t like doing it blind so I'm keep asking more dumb questions... LOL!!
The only "boxes" they will install inside are the modem for the internet connection and a separate modem for the phone. So it if need power, they will have to run two cables inside.
Today I measured the cable path from the outside box to the computer and it's about 80 feet. The run from the box to the kitchen will be about 60 feet.
I wanted to install 2 different phone numbers, like I have on the Verizon, on the one line, but the don't offer that. Said adding another phone number would be another $39. I didn't think to ask if that was per month or just for the 2nd modem.....
On Tuesday, December 9, 2014 8:11:39 PM UTC-5, Sasquatch Jones wrote:
up

n is

n't

floor

at

ter.

sy to

the

ss access

get

et

tter that

In

ere with

as

access

from the outside interconnection box to the computer. Would I get a faster connection if the modem is located near the outside box or near the compute r?

nt cable. From the modem to PC it would be Ethernet cable, unless he opts for USB,

and PC,

clude

less router

of

best

router,

ade for the last 2-3 weeks have been top notch. No complaints about them o r their work. But they can't do anything about the companies priorities wh en it comes to replacing old cables.

l info out of the phone folks about splitting it at the outside box. Just have to wait and talk to the installer - I don' t like doing it blind so I' m keep asking more dumb questions... LOL!!
IDK exactly what you mean by splitting it at the outside box. Split so that one cable then goes into the house for TV, the other for internet/phon e? If that's what you want, I don't see why it can't be done. It's just putti ng a splitter outside versus inside. If you mean putting the cable modem gear outside, I think that's a bad idea and likely impractical. For one thing, where is power going to come from?

connection and a separate modem for the phone.
That's how it's typically done, except many providers have the cable moden and VOIP gear bundled into one box. Some apparently even offer WIFI in one unit too.

If you're talking about putting that gear in a box outside, I think it's a bad idea for the reasons I previously gave. And IDK what kind of "cables" to power the gear that's normally inside you expect them to run . The cable modem, VOIP gear have a walwart on a 6 ft cord that plugs into the wall.

it's about 80 feet. The run from the box to the kitchen will be about 60 feet.

, on the one line, but the don't offer that. Said adding another phone num ber would be another $39. I didn't think to ask if that was per month or ju st for the 2nd modem.....
If I were you, I'd look at the pricing for the phone service. That $39 a month number isn't unusual for the phone service from the cable company. Usually, if you bundle all 3, TV, phone, internet, they give you some reduc ed price and they usually have some even lower introductory rate for the first year. But if you look at getting VOIP phone service separately, in many cases, it's substantially cheaper. You don't have to use TWC, you can use any VOIP service. I'd look at Ooma. You can get the box for $100 and afte r that the service for unlimited calls in the US is free, except for taxes, which run about $3.50 a month. There are other choices for ~$40 a year, eg MajicJack, Nettalk, etc. I have experience with NetTalk and MajicJack and would say to stay away from both. Of the two, NetTalk is worse. If you lo ok at reviews online, you'll see that. The Ooma reviews look much better and that is likely what I'm going to next year. You could also try that fo r your second number to start, especially if it's used for some less critic al usage.

"Wireless Fireless". :)
Either that, or it's what I call the lady I married, my Wifi.
As far as I know, the "Fi" is just a carry over from the old High Fidelity days of stereo systems. I don't think it really refers to anything in the wireless description.