CA. Fires - What's wrong with the inspectors?

Why would you use mechanical means when fire is the ecologically and historic way of holding down the fuel. It leaves most of the nutrients in the soil so you get fresh growth to stop erosion but not enough to keep much of a fire going. "Smokey Bear" was probably the worst idea in forest management we ever had. People started thinking all fire was bad and put them all out so we ended up with bad fires that we couldn't put out.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Mainly because of the massive hectares of chapperal that would go off like fireworks if a homeowner, burning his land, happened to to have a loose spark touch-off the unmanaged public parcels.

If you read the post I originally responded to, it wasn't referring to public lands management. It was talking about homeowner's land management and the protection of private homes. Mechanical management is an effective means to protect homes.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Because fire isn't very safe in built-up areas. It has a tendancy to do things you don't want it to. Controlled burns sometimes get out of hand.

Yes. But it's not an option in built-up areas.
--
Chris Lewis,

snipped-for-privacy@nortelnetworks.com (Chris Lewis) wrote:

I have a friend who used to be a smoke jumper and he said even in their high trained hands, "controlled" is a time sensitive description. One minute it is, the next is may not be.

started at least some of the fires to create construction jobs for themselves.

It is funny that no matter what the argument is about, eventually it gets to global warming and illegals. I hear it was caused by a gay smoker with a Bush sticker on his SUV.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Who was hispanic and had just snuck across the Mexican border and had parked the SUV on a patch of dried brush.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

They are stealing the relief food and water too.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20071025-9999-1m25looting.html

Somebody with a circa '70's Chevy and a hot catalytic converter. watch out for low-riders...
-- Oren
"I didnt say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."

One report stated illegal immigration was down; near and around San Diego, due to the fires.
A local here, suggested all illegals go to SD for work.
-- Oren

Indeed. Four forestry students were killed a few years back when the controlled burn set by professionals (and the students supervised by professionals) got out of hand and cut them off. Yet, everything was perfectly done by the book...
--
Chris Lewis,

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 15:08:05 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@nortelnetworks.com (Chris Lewis) wrote:

If it is that "built up" you should be able to control the fuel load on the ground.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Tree-huggers won't let you. The forest service cannot, in the main, clear the forest floor. So doing might disturb the habitat of the Three-toed Salamander which is SO endangered no one's ever seen the critter.
DA had written this in response to http://thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-CA-Fires-What-s-wrong-with-the-inspectors-261311-.htm : Dave Bugg wrote:

You must have missed this little detail from all the news: with 100MPH winds you can't clear enough land around every house to prevent the fire from spreading so quick.
I have just returned from a trip to San Diego, interrupted by the fire of course, and I can say that people live there because it's a beautiful place. The weather is just right, the scenery is perfect and there is no reason Southern CA should be less livable than the NE. They will rebuild the houses like they always do.
Well, I guess next time the landscapers should probably go little easier on eucalypt trees. The peeling bark looks like paper and I'm pretty sure catches on fire just as quick as paper. Then there might be other benefits (like drought resistance) that might outweigh the fire risk, but it seem a bit scary to have a tree like that next to your house in a fire like that.
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 250152 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
DA wrote:

http://thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-CA-Fires-What-s-wrong-with-the-inspectors-261311-.htm
Nope, didn't miss that at all.

Prolly.
If you think birch bark is a good fire starter, eucalyptus is absolutely volcanic. And the oils in the tree really keep things flaming, too.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com
snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote:

Nothing wrong with building on a hillside, it's how you do it. Appeareantly homebuilders have never heard of "pilings".

I hear you but you ought to expand your question to other areas such as flood planes, hurricane risk areas, etc.
What really burns me up (no pun intended) is that people knowingly build in high risk areas and when the inevitable disaster strikes, they expect and demand that they get bailed out by tax payer dollars. Ditto for subprime loan victims. "You take the risk; you pay the price."
And our politicians won't draw the line for fear they'll lose votes.
There! I feel somewhat better.

If you want to go further down this route, then you could easily say nothing should be built in most of CA at all, because of the known earthquake risk.
In the case of the fires, there isn't an easy solution. If you required open spaces with nothing that will burn in them around each building they would have to be quite large to be effective. Think about what that would look like where you live. You'd have the new subdivision look, where some developer either buys an open farm tract or else clear cuts every tree in sight, and you wind up with a bunch of houses where you have zero privacy. Look out your back window and all you see is the house behind you. And if you did that in CA it would create other issues, like erosion, mudslides in hills, loss of more wildlife habitat, etc.
So far the last count I heard was they were up to 1600 homes lost. Which sounds bad and is certainly one of the worst. But it's not unprecedented compared to other events, like huricanes or earthquakes.
snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote:

Ah, that is the problem. If the only get your information from watching the news, you would think that: 1) Most all buildings in the southeast were destroyed by hurricanes in the past ten years 2) Most all homes in the midwest were destroyed by tornadoes. 3) The only homes in California that didn't get flattened by an earthquake in the past decade or two, have since been destroyed by fire. 4) The northeast is still digging out from last winters blizzards. (well, ok, may not that -- they dug out by June). 5) Most of the rest of the country lives in flood plains and get flooded every other year.
Seriously, we, as the rest of the country, have occasional "natural" disasters. Some homes are better built or situated to withstand these than others. We all get hurt as insurance companies indiscriminately overreact to the latest disaster.

THEN THE SOLUTION IS TO STOP BUILDING EVERYWHERE IN THE USA.
ATTENTION AMERICANS, Everyone must abandom their homes now. You have 24 hours to evacuate. This is a new law, and since I am chief head of the government. Anyone who does not leave within 24 hours will be arrested and go to prison. LEAVE NOW.

California must be abandoned entirely. We'll just push it into the ocean, drop a few nukes on it, and get it over with.
As you leave, please deposit your firearms in the provided dumpsters. We will no longer allow anyone to own firearms in order to prevent looting and killings.
Dick Cheney