Buying items on eBay

Page 1 of 2
I am interested in buying a cordless circular saw I saw on ebay ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item )0030231795&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih9) but keep getting outbid. What is the maximum amount I should pay?
Also, Is $5 a good price for this drill (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item )0030233141&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih9)
Cheers
I'm a contractor and I use a lot of tools. If you want used tools, go to garage sales where you can at least try them before buying them. If you want new tools, select a make and model, then search retailers and etailers for the lowest price including shipping and tax. On Ebay, I've seen people bid for things for more money than they could buy them at reputable retailers. On ebay, you pay first, then wait for the seller to be so inclined to send the items... or not. When things go horribly wrong, you have practically no recourse

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item )0030231795&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih9)
(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item )0030233141&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih9)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item )0030231795&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih9)
(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item )0030233141&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih9)
Just curious, are you somehow related to the seller?
The saw is brand new. I have to wonder if it is just part of a kit, or if it was stolen merchandise from a job site. I'd rather not bid myself. .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item )0030231795&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih9)
(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item )0030233141&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih9) Search for completed items on eBay to see how much those items have sold for in the past.
Cindi wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item )0030231795&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih9)
Unless you already have an 18V battery and charger the max you should pay including shipping is $0.00.
Unless you are local to where the seller is, and can try out and pick up the units (NO advance payment), I wouldn't bid on these at all. Stick to local stuff that you can have a look at. See if there's a craigslist.com for your locale. I buy a fair amount on ebay, and this seller is not who you do business with.
I realize you may actually be spamming for your own ebay ads. If so, you need to rethink trying to be an ebay seller.
Bill

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item )0030231795&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih9)
(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item )0030233141&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih9)
try harbor freight for lowest prices around........

You're looking at it the wrong way. You have to ask, is it worth 15.95, because that's what it costs with shipping. 19.95 if you want the case.
I have 3 drills, and I keep on in the original box with several drill bits and a center punch and the box is useful. OTOH, the box in the pictutre is much bigger than the drill. That means it will hold more, but if your place is really crowded, the wasted space inside can be problem.
From the 15.95 or 1995, you can back out your local 5% sales tax if you want a better comparison, but you should also remmeber that if you buy at a store, you can return it easily if it doesn't work and even if you don't like it when you get it home. Drills are cheap these days. Have you looked at a store.
My cordless drill was good because it was light and no cord when I was 2 stories up reattaching my gutters, but at ground level, I have more than enough extension cords to go anywhere, and I don't find it inconvenient to use one. And the AC has endless power, and more power thasn a battery drill. So I think corded drills are very good.
Oh, yeah, yard sales and Pennysaver ads. Although around here, one can go months without seeing tools at a yard sale. Just baby clothes.
At a police auction in Chicago, I once saw someone pay more for a bicycle than it cost new.

i see people pay over retail on e bay all the time. my feedback is 150 the vast majority of buyers and sellers are fine. a few like everything are rip offs, and i have been hit too.
know what your buying, purchase only from hose with good feedback, consider shipping costs:( dont expect everything to be a great deal.........

I once bid on a book that was currently in print and available in any bookstore. Not an antique or anything special. I just wanted the book, and thought I might get it for half the price of new. The book sold for $29 retail, so with sales tax I figured half price would be $15 (with S+H). The S+H was $5, so I figured the most I'd bid was $10. I actually bid $10.25 just to get the edge over $10.
When the sale ended, the book sold for $48.50. Add the S+H and this idiot paid $53.50 for a USED book he could have bought NEW in any bookstore for about $30 with sales tax.
How can anyone be so stupid?
Ron

thing at in-person auctions for decades. I've walked out of auctions when it became clear the crowd was mainly amatuers, and stuff was going for new retail, or close to it. Good for the seller and the auctioneer, I guess, but irritating as hell if I made a long drive to get there. I still buy on ebay once in a while, but e-snipe and foolish buyers often make it a pointless exercise.
aem sends...

Indeed, very much not new.
I'll never forget seeing someone at a live auction paying $300 each for a pair of brand new french doors still in their packaging. The packaging still had their price stickers of $139 - from a _current_ sales flier.
Or when people were paying $40 each for 4' pipe clamps. Which only cost about $12 brand new normal retail, and the seller was practically in hysterics - he had made them up from heads @ $5/set, and a whole pickup load of pipe for $10.
I'm in the wrong business ;-)
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item )0030231795&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih9)
(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item )0030233141&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih9)
sale in hardware stores for less than $30.00 so I wouldn't bid higher than $5.00. After all, there is shipping, finding a compatible battery and a charger. The other piece isn't a treasure either in my opinion.
Bill
"Cindi" wrote

Spamming a NG with your items will get you in trouble.
For one, you are a liar. No one has bid on this item more than once. Another thing is, it hasn't even met reserve, so it's not going to sell until it does.

For sale by the same seller. Quit spamming your items.
You're posting from Shelton Conn . Items located in Bloomfield Conn.
The best deals result from bidding at LAST moment so as to not drive prices up over time.......
I do this a LOT, and have gotten great deals.
I bottom shop ;looking for underpriced stuff thats about to sell. Occasionally I will just bid whats its worth.
Working the system is like haggling at a flea market. I enjoy that too:)
I suspect sometimes sellers use shell accounts to bid stuff up but theres o way to prove it

You are most likely spamming these things, but if you really want to buy them, you DO NOT want to buy them on ebay. Never buy ANY power tools or other electrical items on ebay. You will likely get a broken piece of junk. I learned this the hard way, buying power tools on ebay. Go to your nearest building supply or hardware store and get your tools. You will likely pay the same amount or even less by the time you pay the outrageous shipping fees they charge on ebay. And on ebay, you cant return it when it breaks.... Ebay is ok for buying books, cds, dvds and trinkets, but NEVER buy electrical things.

not entirely true I have bought mostly electrical powered stuff but then I fix things for a living.
on tools the last thing you want is to be in the middle of a job with a tool that doesnt work right......
better to buy locally

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item )0030231795&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih9)
(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item )0030233141&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih9)
I looked at the auction. I think you are lying in your teeth. Where are all the bids that you say you are losing?
Then there is a reserve price, so it won't be cheap anyway.
And rule number one on eBay. Check the seller's feedback. I wouldn't touch this auction on a bet.
Charlie

I got the impression that the OP is saying that whenever they try for a cordless saw _like_ that one, they get outbid.

Me neither.
I bought a cordless saw on ebay a few months back. I spent more than that, but it was a rather better saw, brand new it would have been more than 4 times as much as I paid (including S&H), and I already had batteries and chargers ;-)
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
(Chris Lewis) wrote:

OTOH, I'm not the only one who got the impression that the OP is shilling for _her_own_ auction.
--
Regards,