Burning old deck boards in woodstove?

Page 2 of 2
HerHusband wrote:

The answer is yes if we are assuming this is untreated redwood. There are few volatiles left from the stain after weathering. Burning it will have no effect on the stove.
OTOH. Redwood is so light, it will burn very quickly. I would think of other uses. By short you probably mean less than 4' but maybe more than 18". Uses for whatever goes in the ground -- stakes, edging, posts etc.
Hate to see redwood burned! Maybe you could trade it for some pine or fir.
Harry K,

The redwood deck boards are leftover from a mobile home we recently sold. We will be doing some landscape work soon, so I need to get the pile cleaned up. I'd rather not have to pay to have it disposed of or ground into mulch. Unfortunately, most of the wood is not good enough to reuse for anything. Firewood seemed like a good use for it.

We built our own home and have a LOT of T&G cedar cut-offs from installing our ceilings. These are the reject boards that had knots, splits, broken tongues/grooves, etc. We cut them into equal size pieces that will fit in our woodstove, and have about a full cord of wood there. It burns fast, but it still provides lots of heat when we want it.
George,

The redwood is untreated. In fact, only the decking and railing have stain on them. The underlying posts and joists are mostly unstained.

I had hoped to pull the deck boards up intact and remove the nails. Unfortunately, I apparently used spiral shank nails when I built the deck, and there was no way they were coming out! The boards split, cracked in half, or the nail heads popped off before those nails were coming out. The mobile home was going to be moved in a few days, so I had to take the decks down in a hurry. I eventually had to cut the deck apart with my reciprocating saw. With 24" joist spacing, this meant most of the pieces are about 22" long.

Yeah, me too... No one around here even carries redwood anymore.
I planed down some of the wider boards and made some really nice little shelves for our bathroom. Despite 13 years as a deck, some planing, sanding, and three coats of spar urethane produced some really great looking shelves.
Sadly, most of the wood is partially decayed or is not real attractive. I ran about 30 of the boards through my planer yesterday, and only 2 were attractive enough to keep. I cut the remainder into firewood.
Thanks for the feedback!
Take care,
Anthony