bullet hole in siding

Page 7 of 10

No fingerprints here.

Only one year, unfortunately. ...and $20. :-(

ID not dated? That's dumb.

These two are interesting, since a CCW isn't required. Vermont doesn't have one, so it couldn't qualify.

in certain situations,government can SHUT DOWN gun sales.

I see no problem with checking a potential buyers legal status before transferring a gun to them,particularly since it can be done quickly and without identifying records being kept. Prohibited people(felons,mentally ill) should not be able to walk into a gun shop and buy a firearm.

these days,you can get compact pistols that hold 10 rounds in 9x19 Luger/Parabellum instead of the PPK/S 7 rounds of weaker .380ACP.(9x17);a "minimalist" cartridge.
BTW,in Florida,even with a permit,you still have the NICS check. You could have committed crimes since the permit was issued,like misdemeanor domestic violence. But the waiting period (for handguns) is waived.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

FWIW, The prohibition against the mentally ill is largely unenforceable in real life since those are generally medical records and thus not available under privacy laws. You might be able to pick up a small percentage by review police runs, but in most jurisdictions, even court records about involuntary commitments (Baker Act, 72 Hour hold, whatever it is called) are sealed.

Except that it accomplished nothing and the records *ARE* kept.

Basically, SWMBO doesn't like my guns. They're "too big" (except the Buckmark). The only range around is over in GA, a day trip so I'd like to get a gun she's comfortable with. She liked the feel of the PPK and the grip on the /S is long enough to fit my hand, as well.

Janet Reno tried to keep the NICS records. She was bitch-slapped. By law, all NICS records must be destroyed within 24 hours. Remember, the NICS record does not say whether you bought a gun, only that you are eligible (or ineligible) to own one.
A record of a firearm sale IS kept at the gun store or pawn shop or wherever. The feds do not get a copy. To subvert the system, never buy a new gun from a gun shop - too easy to trace. Get your gun from an individual or pawn shop.
Of course in those states where every change in ownership of a firearm has to be reported to the state, you have a harder time keeping below the radar.

Tell her "size matters!" and, like in other endeavors, she'll just have to lie back and think of England.

Yes, and...

Those records are open to the feds anytime they want to peek. Also note that if the owner gives up his FFL those records are turned over to BATF. ...and they proceed to digitize them, forever to be used by the feds. You know, like your medical records are private, except...

Or where the FFL license transfers...

She's not looking for protection. She's long past even the hot flashes. ;-)
On 11/12/2010 12:10 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I'd not lose a lot of sleep about old paper records sent off to Washington. It ain't like TV- they don't have a giant computer in the sky with digital images of every form ever signed, and meta-data keys so they can string-search a name or serial number, and have an image of a current drivers license in seconds. Mostly, they can't find their ass with both hands. Between the poor quality of the paper originals, and the indifferent proof-reading of the clerk doing the digitizing, putting paper records into a computer is a slow, expensive, and less than 100% accurate process. I doubt it is anywhere near the top of BATF's budget priority list. Unless there is an active complaint being worked, how often to they even make it to the stores for a cursory inspection? The records sent to DC when a store closes are likely entombed in a warehouse.
--
aem sends...

Amen. Raiders of the Lost Ark, final scene. So funny because it's so true.
Once upon a time, OSD got a bug up its butt about digitizing the graduation records of all officers who had taken classes at the various military professional schools like the Naval War College, etc. The Army presented its records on blurry, scratched and hopelessly incomplete microfiche. The Air Force presented us with three shoe boxes full of index cards and the Navy's records were mostly lost in a flood in the BUPERS office in N'owlins. We had to go around the country to Monterey, Providence and other locations to try to piece together the originals. At Naval Postgraduate school, they actually had those old library-type punch card with holes around the edges!
My local gunshop went out of business just recently and that's where at least two of my purchase records were stored. Here is MD, they also fire a test bullet with any new gun which goes into a State Police database which, as of last time I read up on the subject, hasn't had a single hit. Ironically it was through the killing of a Navy officer here in PG County that I learned that to defeat such a "ballistic fingerprint" all it takes is shooting a 9mm bullet through a .40 caliber pistol. It's enough of a fit to fire a lethal round, but not enough to leave the same ballistic markings that a 9mm bullet fired from a 9mm barrel would. At first, investigators thought they were dealing with a criminal genius, but it turned out the killers simply bought the wrong ammunition.
-- Bobby G.
Robert Green wrote:

Your local gun shop should offer a "free replacement barrel" with every (over-priced) weapon sold.
Or, alternatively,
"Replacement used barrels: Ten dollars ($90 core charge)".
On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 01:42:00 -0500, "Robert Green"

Well, consider these criminal types are not locked up for singing to loud in church.
Jim Yanik wrote:

Regarding felons and the insane being prohibited from owning guns, that may be painting with too broad a brush. Does a person lose the right of self-defense because he cheated on his income tax? Or someone diagnosed with Coulrophobia be at the mercy of those who would do them ill?
On the other hand, if prohibiting guns to felons is primarily an additional sanction for their rascally behavior (like a bar to voting and practicing many professions), then I'm for it.

I don't think so...
On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 07:51:04 -0600, Vic Smith

If you get really stressed out about this episode you can always bury your guns in the back yard. Use as necessary.
In my state, the State Constitution has a 2nd Amendment.
wrote in message wrote:

Yeah, a trigger lock or a gun in the safe will do a *lot* of good during a home invasion. ...almost as much good as the police.
---------
Huh? Why do you need a gun to protect yourself in your own home? Why can't you use a baseball bat, iron pipe, 2x 4.
If somebody needs a loaded gun to protect themselves in their own home they are most certainly living in a bad town or neighbourhood and they have done something in their life, drugs, dropped out of high school, bad debts, criminal themselves etc to be living in that part of town.

Umm, with a bat, a pipe or a 2x4 you have to stand real close and not miss the target?
I prefer distance as it gives an advantageous space. I've never read any reports where bad guys, willfully wanting to harm on an innocent family could catch bullets in their teeth.
"Oren" wrote in message wrote:

Umm, with a bat, a pipe or a 2x4 you have to stand real close and not miss the target?
I prefer distance as it gives an advantageous space. I've never read any reports where bad guys, willfully wanting to harm on an innocent family could catch bullets in their teeth.
-----
If you are living in a house where bad guys, willfully wanting to harm on an innocent family, then you are living in in the wrong part of town and you have probably done a few wrong things yourself to end up in that sitution.
Sensible and reasonable people do not live in houses that need to be protected by firearms...

If you find a perfect neighborhood, don't move in as it won't be perfect anymore. Same as if you find a perfect church.. don't join it as it won't be perfect anymore.

Reasonable and prudent people protect their homes by any means necessary. That includes biting off fingers of the do-bad's if called for.
Smart people keep guns and draw them to bear when needed. I prefer not getting real close, unless I have too.
Example: My neighbor and I have a pack. If you hear gun fire, that may mean the bad guy jumped the fence and is in your yard.
Solution: shoot the bastard. The reason I say this is because we would get tired fighting him at our age. Brass knuckles are illegal here. Not so for guns.
On 11/6/2010 10:28 PM, The Henchman wrote:

Easy to say if you have the cash to move. Not everyone does. And especially for older folks that have lived in the same house 50 years or so (while the neighborhood went to hell around them), they may be too attached to the place to move, even though it would be the prudent thing to do. (Or the major investment of their life is now worth a fraction of what they have in it, and moving would mean moving someplace worse.) I left one apartment complex because I was tired of seeing cop cars every damn night, but I was fortunate enough to have a job that paid well enough to do so. It was a decent place when I moved in, but then the owners got greedy and started taking section 8 tenants. Sadly, a significant fraction of folks in that program do make poor life choices, and some of the single mothers in the program seem to have poor taste in men that they let move in with them.
--
aem sends...

Freedom isn't free.
had a realtive who must of heard a noise got his gun in middle of night and accidently shot and killed himself. at age 12 i found the body he had been dead 6 days.
at least people with kids should get jail time for leaving a weapon with ammo where kids can get to it.......
far fewer kids would shoot others......

Guesses added with grizzly "facts" in an attempt to invoke horror. It could have been a suicide, too. It worst, it was Darwin catching up to him.

No, parents should teach children respect for all dangerous situations.