bullet hole in siding

Page 4 of 10
harry wrote:

I see I've left you speechless.
Don't worry. I am quite certain the condition is temporary.

No. This is one of those: Fill in the blank type responses.
On 11/9/2010 7:52 AM, HeyBub wrote:

ISTR both are correct, like gaol and jail. And in the grocery aisle, it isn't JELLO brand Jelatin, it is Gelatin.
I see it used both ways routinely, and both are understood. And I don't really care what the dictionaries say- they are supposed to follow real world, not the other way around.
--
aem sends...

aemeijers wrote:

I can't find an online dictionary the condones, or even recognizes, "gell."
* Not the Merriam-Webster * Not MSN Encarta * Not Webster's Unabridged (1913) * Not The Collaborative International Dictionary of English * Not Language, Idioms, & Slang

How about "gel"? ;-)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gel

Good point. How about Popocatepetl? Or phlegm?
Besides, "Gel" is a noun. Harry used "gell" as a verb. Substituting a noun directly for a verb doesn't work. True, one can convert a verb to a noun (it becomes a verbal), but it takes a different form, usually the gerund form by adding "-ing" to the noun. For example: "Swimming is good exercise." Here, "swim," a verb, is converted into a noun by adding "-ing".
But converting a noun (e.g., "gel") to a verb is trickier and usually results in something contrived, artificial, and just plain wrong ("We need to dialog").

Recently, I bought a dictionary at a yard sale that is a full six inches thick. Webster's New Twentieth Century Second Unabridged edition. I got it for a buck at a yard sale, and it is in new condition.
As a kid, I used to look at dictionaries in our house, and just learn and read. I find this one fascinating, and am going to make a lectern type stand for it so that I may refer to it, and my grandchildren can use it. They are fascinated with those types of books.
It can all get deep. I had four years of high school English, and a couple of college. But still, in normal conversation, the meaning of what is being said is generally grasped, and the message conveyed. Look at all the new words and acronyms that have come to life every year for the last few decades. Drive-by. When I was a kid, I would have thought that meant a drive-in restaurant or movie that people didn't like. Today, five year olds know what it means, and what happens there.
But I do love post mortem discussions of Usenet and Internet conversations and postings. And I love to photograph public misuses of English.
In LA - big professionally made sign 3' high and 30' long ...........
"STATIONARY STORE". Didn't have my camera ready in the cab. Missed it. Of course it's stationary. Where could it go?
Steve
On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 07:40:03 -0800, "Steve B"

OT: Steve look in that book for "Cracker". Tell me if it describes a Black Cowboy, a Florida Negro that popped whips. Cracking of the whip lent the name Cracker.
Yeah or Nay will do -- or -- if you find it....

"Gel" is also a verb:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gel
"gel 2)verb gelledgelling Definition of GEL intransitive verb 1: to change into or take on the form of a gel : set 2: jell 2"

Nope. It's already been pre-verbed. ;-)

hehe
harry wrote:

Then the UK must not be connected to the internet. I can find NO use of "gell" in all the pipes.
And I HAVE been to the UK. I spent two weeks one afternoon in Manchester.

I lived in Lafayette, Louisiana for about seven years. In that time, I married a Cajun girl, had one child there, with the whole typical Cajun family tree, complete with a few who spoke no English. I got to speaking it and understanding it. I wish I had spent more time on it, and did it better.
There's a dialect and accent particular to Breaux Bridge, Louisiana. Pronounced Bro Bridge by Yankees and Br Briddddddddddje by people of the area. Br said real fast and short, and Briddddddddddddje drawn out pausing on the id.
I was in a Las Vegas restaurant after we moved back. I could tell that the four ladies in the next booth were from Breaux Bridge. When we met at the buffet line, I said, "Wheh in Br Bridddddddddddddddje ye from, cha?" She reeled. "How you know ah from Br Briddddddddddddddddje?, she asked. "Yo axxxxennnnt,", ah said. We went back to the table, and my wife talked to them in French, and we had le bon ton.
I loved Louisiana except for the humidity and skeeters. And around there, people would recognize others by accents from different parts of the state. But I really think the term "Lafayette, heart of Acadiana" was correct.
Nothing like stopping by any mom and pops store for some fresh hot boudin and cracklins and a cold one.
Steve
On 11/11/2010 7:19 PM, Steve B wrote:

Well, What they speak down there and modern French have a common ancestor, I'll go that far. But if you dropped somebody from Quebec down there, they would likely be as lost as an English-only speaker is. I own a house just down the road in Lake Charles, and have been in Lafayette several times, so I have some familiarity with the area.

I only visit in December, to avoid the worst of that. Place is too flat for a southern Indiana boy like me, though- it just feels wrong, especially the grass. And around there,

Plenty of the Coon-Ass license plates and storefronts selling boudin over in LC as well.
--
aem sends...

MawMaw and PawPaw lived in Sulphur, and my MIL grew up there. We went there many times to visit. Went to visit Nonk (Uncle) Daley (pronounced Dah-leeeee) in beautiful picturesque Holly Beach. Drove through there a million times running to and from the oilfields. Good crabbing all along there, and great fishing and duck hunting in the Sabine Refuge.
Heard many tales from people who went up to Canada to visit actual relatives that ended up in Canada during the migration, rather than South Louisiana, and heard lots of stories on them getting together and trying to communicate.
Steve

My mother didn't speak French or English, but would really try to follow a discussion in either language. Sometimes would be really good, sometimes not. Hilariously at times. I loved her dearly, and miss her.
--
Best regards
Han

Reminds me of a co-worker from Bologna who had problems distinguishing between the words "hassle" and "asshole" with some pretty hilarious results.
-- Bobby G.

i know some Spanish ladies who always pronounced sheet as shit. Nice coworkers (platelet reactivity) as they were, that pronunciation led them to avoid asking for a sheet of paper.
--
Best regards
Han

I knew on who referred to her key breaking off in her ignition as the piss in the hole When you correct it to piece in the hole. IT"S STILL HILARIOUS

1. Cheese
The teacher told Pepito to use the word cheese in a sentence. Pepito replies:
Maria likes me, pero Cheese fat.
2. Mushroom
'Orale vato, when all my family get in the car, there's not mushroom
3. Shoulder
My tia wanted to become a citizen, but she didn't know how to read so I shoulder.
4. Texas
My ruca always Texas me when I'm not home wondering where I'm at!
5. Herpes
Me and my ruca ordered pizza. I got mine piece and she got herpes.
6. July
Ju told me ju were going to tha store and July to me! Julyer!
7. Rectum!
I had 2 cars pero my wife rectum!
8. Juarez
'One day my abuelita slapped me and I said juarez your problem?'
9. Chicken
I was going to go to the store with my wife pero chicken go herself.
-- Bobby G.

In lots of cases, foreign languages don't have words that sound similar so it's very difficult for foreign people to say some words correctly or even hear the differences between words like asshole and hassle, as in "rots of ruck Charry" and "please no steal my sheety Cheby." Then, of course, there's South Park and City Wok.
-- Bobby G.